M. Ruggers Looking to Sunny Days

Rugby

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

Rain, rain, stay away, the Harvard ruggers are ready to hit today.

If you're a member of the Harvard rugby club, the first thing you do every morning is check the weather. If it's rain or snow, the day is ruined. The only thing left to do is go to class.

"We're chomping at the bit to get out on the field," said Martyn Kings ton, the squad's volunteer coach. "We got some quality gym time in the MAC, but we want to get outside now."

After a month of working out in the Malkin Athletic Center, the Crimson is looking forward to warmer days so it can get out on the field and do some hitting.

Harvard has wanted to hit something, or a lot of someones, since it was eliminated from a shot at advancing to national competition last November.

Southern Connecticut edged Harvard, 3-0, in the semifinals of the New England Championships on a controversial penalty with five minutes remaining.

With perhaps its best squad since its national-championship team in 1984, Harvard had its bags packed, ready for a trip to reclaim its long-lost crown, but nowhere to go.

The Crimson dominated its fall competition, outdistancing most of its opponents, talentwise. Harvard will be making a long-distance trip soon--the Crimson heads for Jamaica during spring break--but it is not the trip the team thought it would be making.

Instead, Harvard must settle for some tough spring competition.

"We're looking to set things straight this spring," said Bruce Miller, the club's president and one of the Crimson's three All-East members. "If we play up to our potential, there is not anyone that should beat us."

Although the squad lost two players to graduation in January, the Crimson greets the return of nine All-New England players. Three players, Miller, Co-Captain Jon Greenberg and James Keller, qualified for the All-East team based on their play in the battle of New Orleans competition January in New Orleans. With a good showing at the Boston Camp in late May, all three have a shot at becoming the rugby club's first All-Americas since 1984.

"It was definitely a good experience for the guys," Kingston said. "It was rugby at its best. That kind of post-season activity keeps them thinking about rugby, and they are really fired up to play."

Six other All-New England players return to the fold, including the two Scotts at the inside and outside center positions--Co-Captain Scott Hilinski and Scott Tierney.

Other returning All-New England stars include Mark Sagarin and Mike Newhouse in the pack and Chris Liles and Mike Gibbs in the backfield.

If the Crimson does go undefeated this spring, it won't be because of an easy schedule. Upon its return from Jamaica in April, Harvard will participate in three consecutive tournaments.

The month begins with two trips to Providence for the Ivy League Championships and the New England Invitational. The Crimson will then host the Beanpot, which it has captured the last two years with wins over Boston College.

Had enough tournament play?

Harvard then meets Ivy League power Dartmouth in the season's final week.

"We're looking to have a strong spring," Kingston said. "We will probably be strong favorites to come first or second in these tournaments. We certainly are a team to beat."

And a team itching to give out beatings of its own. Coach:  Martyn Kingston Captains:  Jon Greenberg, Scott Hilinski Last Year:  (10-2, 3-1) Home Games:  Soldier's Field The Schedule

March Sat, 18  BOST RUGBY CLUB  1 p.m. Thu, 23  at Univ. of Conn.  --

April Tue, 4  MIT  -- Sat, 8-  at Ivy League Champs  -- Sun, 9-  (at Providence)  -- Sat, 15-  at New England Int'l  -- Sun, 16-  (at Providence)  -- Sat, 22-  BEANPOT  -- Sun, 23  (at Cambridge, Mass.)  -- Sat, 29  at Dartmouth  --