Perceptions of Homophobia in Athletics

A Point After

By Michael R. Grunwald

In the consolation game of the ECAC hockey championships at Boston Garden last month, a chant went up from the stands, taunting Cornell goaltender Corrie D'Alessio.

"Hey, D'Alessio!" some rowdy Harvard students yelled. "Your boyfriend called, and he says, you suck!" Five minutes later, the fans repeated the chant, adding an adverbial "Well!" at the end.

This chant used homosexuality as a stigmatized insult, hinging on the "macho" image spectators associate with male athletes. These spectators view homosexuality as the antithesis of masculinity, and--although they assumed that D'Alessio was not gay--chose to attack his athletic ability by questioning his heterosexuality.

"Obviously, some gay men are effeminate," says Joseph Cice, Co-Chair of the Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Student Association (BGLSA), "but the diverse kinds of people who confide their orientation to me surprise even me, because I grew up with the same stereotypes about gay men in our society."

For women athletes, the problem takes the flip side. Their athleticism, physical strength and often size are used to reinforce perceptions of female athletes--already seen as competing in a predominately male arena--as unfeminine, "butch" and even lesbian.

"There are definitely perceptions that women athletes are lesbians, especially big girls," says Elizabeth Jurek, a rower on the freshman crew team. Every woman athlete interviewed agreed with Jurek's statment.

These generalizations are insensitive to both the athletes and the gay, lesbian, and bisexual community. Unfortunately, the athletes' response to this insensitivity has often unwittingly compounded the problem.

Male athletes often feel compelled to prove their masculinity, often through extensive locker room talk about the other sex or casual derogatory references to the "fags" on the other team.

"I don't really care if someone's gay," wrestler Scott Beck says. "We make 'fag' jokes and stuff, but it isn't derogatory against gays. We make fun of our own sexualities, too."

Although these "fag jokes" may not be intended as antagonistic to individual homosexuals or the gay community in general, imagine the pain they must cause closeted gays, who may feel compelled to laugh along with the banter for fear of standing alone in defense of gay rights.

Opposite Reactions

Ironically, the reactions of some women athletes--who are fighting against an opposite stereotype--also promote negative attitudes towards homosexuals.

Kelly Dermody, BGLSA Co-Chair and All-Ivy goal-tender for the women's lacrosse team, believes that perceptions of women athletes as "butches" or "dykes" may arise from a societal ideal of a "feminine woman" who isn't strong, muscular or athletic.

"If you're female athlete, you almost have to prove you're not a lesbian," says Robin Johnston, a soccer player.

Obviously, there is no basis for stereotypes that larger women are more likely to be lesbians, or that all women athletes are large and muscular. But this characterization, and the attached stigma, still exist.

As Johnston notes, a woman athlete eager to avoid being "branded" as a lesbian may flaunt her heterosexuality, and an insensitivity "one level above homophobia" is likely to emerge.

These negative reactions from both male and female athletes, derived from ignorance rather than malicious intent, contribute to the low self-esteem society seems to encourage from its gay members.

Dermody urges closeted athletes to "come out," though she knows from experience how difficult this can be for an athlete.

An openly gay person who gains acceptance on a personal level can further the cause of the entire gay community by dispelling myths and prompting realizations that discrimination against gays is wrong and misguided. The more this is recognized and accepted in society, the easier it will be for others to come out.

"I don't think [comments about 'fags'] come from hostility," Dermody says. "A simple reply, like, 'That means nigger to me--you're subconsciously equating gayness and badness and that alienates me,' on a one-to-one level can do so much."

An athlete, or anyone, may react to a confrontation like this with hostility. But with increased awareness, the individual may respond to the personal approach with acceptance and understanding for the problems gays face in our society.

"Maybe they'll be uncomfortable the next time [they hear a homophobic remark,]" Dermody says. "Then, the next time, they'll turn away, and the third time, they'll finally say, 'That's just not cool.'"

Of course, any broad stereotype of athletes and homophobia is unfair and ignores those who openly affirm gay rights. For instance, Cice says several athletes visibly supported the gay community during the Mather harrassment incident.

Even those who show homophobic tendencies usually mean no harm. "He played like a fag," a basketball player says. "Did you know he's openly homosexual? Print that," a lacrosse player jokes. The statements are offensive, but not intentionally so.

The insensitive individual just assumes that he's not offending anyone. But maybe someone in hearing distance is gay and flinching with every word.

Regardless of D'Alessio's sexual orientation, some people in Boston Garden that Saturday night felt personally attacked by the crowd's statements.

"What hurts me about that ignorance and bigotry is the thought that some of the players, and certainly some people in the stands, are gay and lesbian and closeted, and hating themselves," Cice says.

Increased Awareness

Homophobia, however, is not like claustrophobia. It can be cured by increased awareness. Homophobes should be educated, not "defeated."

The gay community must recognize that some tactics, such as the recent posters for "In Eros Veritas: True Gay Stories" featuring Olympic wrestlers in competition on the mat, will not help to ease stereotypes and insensitivity.

But if confrontational tactics are the only way to improve tolerance in society, and especially in sport, they should be used in a responsible manner. Athletics should be the paragon of equal opportunity for everyone.