M. Ruggers Look For 3rd Straight 'Pot Title

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

For some reason, there was a lot of excitement because the Harvard men's hockey team finally won the Beanpot this year.

Heck, the Harvard rugby club has never lost a Beanpot game.

The Crimson (21-3 overall this year, 12-0 this spring), which missed the two inaugural Beanpot bouts, has taken home the 'Pot each of the last two years. Harvard will attempt to keep its stranglehold on the Beanpot championship today when it battles Boston College at Soldiers Field (10 a.m. kickoff).

"We're the twice defending champs," Harvard Coach Martyn Kingston said," and we don't intend on giving up the championship, especially here at Soldiers Field."

If the Crimson does defeat B.C., it will then meet either Northeastern or Boston University in the title match today at 4 p.m. The consolation game is at 2:30 p.m.

A third consecutive Beanpot title would give the Crimson its third consecutive championship weekend. Two weeks ago Harvard captured the Ivy League Championship and last weekend the Crimson was victorious in the New England Invitational.

Harvard has been led this season by Co-Captains Jon Greenberg and Scott Hilinski and President Bruce Miller--all three are a step away from making the All-America Team--and the foot of Chris Liles.

"This is our second-most successful season ever," said Kingston, whose 1984 squad captured the national championship. "We still have a fairly young squad, and we've been using a squad of about 25 during the weekends."