Of Choices, Changes, and Controversy

September

16--It becomes known that the Medical School has created a $30 million venture capital program with which to market the discoveries of its faculty to private investors.

24--This week the Law School, responding to the disruptions of speeches--including the October 1987 attack on former Contra leader Adolfo Calero by a Tufts student--introduces free speech guidelines for all controversial speeches.

26--Department of Energy officials tell The Crimson that they are working to restore funding to the Kennedy School's Energy and Environmental Policy Center. The center had claimed that its funding was cut off in the fall of 1987 for political reasons. The department had previously been the center's largest source of funds.

October

14--This week a Business School associate dean sends a memorandum to the school's faculty, telling them to avoid speaking to the press when the verdict in a gender discrimination suit filed against the school is finally announced. The verdict had been expected in a case filed by former associate professor of industrial marketing Barbara Bund Jackson '66. She claims she was denied tenure in 1983 because she is a woman.

19--The Boston Globe reports that former Medical School researcher Scheffer C.G. Tseng gave nearly 300 patients an unapproved drug between 1984 and 1986, while owning stock in the company producing the drug. Medical School Dean Daniel C. Tosteson issues a statement saying "a significant conflict of interest had occurred."

21--As the search for a replacement for retiring Law School Dean James Vorenberg '49 progresses, conservative law students--members of the Students' Alliance For Fairness--propose that the Law School Council be prevented from reserving seats on the student dean search committee for specific organizations. They propose an amendment to the Law School's charter that is slated for a referendum vote.

27--It is announced that committees were formed at Johns Hopkins University and the University of Miami to investigate the work of former Medical School researcher Tseng, who worked at those institutions after leaving Harvard.

November

1--The referendum proposed by the Students' Alliance For Fairness is postponed after 144 extra ballots turn up in the ballot box, invalidating the vote.

8--Law School students defeat the referendum brought by the Students' Alliance For Fairness by a more than two-to-one ratio. Opponents say the amendment would have barred some minority students from committees.

11--This week Law School scholars say that the search for Vorenberg's replacement is narrowed to nine candidates. Among the list, which does not include any women or minorities, are Professors of Law Gary Bellow, Robert C. Clark, and Byrne Professor of Administrative Law Richard B. Stewart.

18--The co-chair of the Kennedy School Student Government (KSSG) announces that student representatives will meet with President Derek C. Bok to discuss the selection of the K-School's new dean. KSSG members say the new dean should be committed to increased minority and women faculty hiring and become more involved with the school's internal workings.

19--In his first statement since the disclosure of former Med School researcher Tseng's unethical practices, Dean Tosteson reveals that the University knew of the opthamalogist's actions a year before the issue became public.

23--The Crimson learns that a former fellow at the K-School's Energy and Environmental Policy Center (EEPC) has sued the University, charging that he was unfairly fired. Armando Garsd's June 1987 complaint claims he was dismissed because he complained about misused funds.

December

1--The Business School's Public Management Club this week announces it will renew its effort to propose a loan forgiveness plan similar to those at the Law School and Kennedy School. The program would absorb the debts of students who take low-paying public service or government jobs after graduation.

6--The K-School unveils the cornerstone of its new Taubman Center for State and Local Government, marking a broadening of the school's usual emphasis on national and international issues.

13--In the midst of its search to replace Attorney General Richard L. Thornburgh, the Insititute of Politics (IOP) names former Member of Parliament Shirley Williams as its interim director.

January

6--Medical School officials reveal that at least one case history from a Harvard-affiliated hospital was used to promote former opthamalogy fellow Tseng's eye ointment.

26--Harvard announces that a team from the Harvard Negotiation Project, led by Williston Professor of Law Roger Fisher, will travel to Moscow to teach bargaining techniques to Soviet arms negotiators.

February

10--McLean Hospital and Harvard officials announce that Dr. Shervert H. Frazier, the hospital's former director, has been reinstated at the hospital as a staff psychiatrist and "psychiatrist in chief, emeritus." He does not regain his previous post.

14--Rumors of cheating on January final exams spur first-year B-School students to discuss creating an honor code.

16--Law School sources say that after a ten-month search, Robert C. Clark will be named as the new Law School dean. Though Clark is widely regarded as a distinguished corporate law scholar, his outspoken criticism of the radical Critical Legal Studies movement raises concern that the appointment will worsen the sharp division between the school's liberal and conservative faculty.

17--President Bok officially announces that Clark will be the Law School's next dean.

22--President Bush announces plans to nominate B-School professor Robert R. Glauber '61 as Undersecretary of the Treasury for Finance.

March

2--It is revealed this week that Psychology Department Chair Brendan A. Maher, will succeed Sally Falk Moore as dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Maher's most pressing problem, observers say, will be to address the school's financial difficulties.

6--The January-February issue of the Harvard Business Review creates an uproar as business and government leaders react to an article that claims that women are more costly to employ than men, lauching a debate about the corporate "mommy track."

13--The unauthorized removal of posters from bulletin boards belonging to Jewish and gay and lesbian groups prompts an administrative investigation. The tampering had coincided with a clean-up effort in preparation for fundraising efforts.

14--President Bok names Professor of Government Robert D. Putnam as the new Kennedy School dean after an eight-month search. Professors say that Putnam's entrance will likely mark the beginning of a period of extensive curriculum review after years of great internal expansion and a growing national reputation.

19--The Crimson learns that Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry Lionel A. Schwartz '43 is under investigation on charges that he had sexual intercourse with three patients 15 years ago.

April

8--Seeking to advance the candidacy of South African Archbishop Desmond M. Tutu to the Harvard Board of Overseers and calling on the University to divest, a group of Divinity School students begin two days of prayer and fasting in Memorial Church.

11--When Braucher Visiting Professor of Law Ian R. Macneil is accused of conveying "sexism" in the classroom by a March letter from the Women's Law Association, his acerbic response circulates throughout the Law School's faculty and students.

14--President Bok's annual report to the Board of Overseers asserts that the Kennedy School must place more emphasis on a humanistic curriculum and public service if it is to train top government leaders. Less than 40 percent of the school's 1985 graduates, writes Bok, work in the public sector.

17--Charles J. Ogletree, a visiting professor at the Law School and a proponent of Clinical Legal Studies, announces he has accepted the school's offer of tenure. The decision, which makes Ogletree the school's fourth Black faculty member, is viewed as a sign of the school's continued commitment to the radical scholarly movement under newly-appointed Dean Robert C. Clark.

May

2--Kennedy School officials announce this week that they will assist the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson in an effort to rebuild America's inner cities. The plan would involve the borrowing of corporate pension funds to support improvements in poor urban areas.

10--About 60 Law School students protest the school's absence of Hispanic faculty members. The demonstration occurs exactly one year after members of the Black Law Students Association held a 24-hour sit-in to protest the dearth of Black professors.

25--Outgoing dean Allison says the Kennedy School has been ineffective in encouraging graduates' entrance into the public sector. The criticism serves as a response to President Bok's annual report, which called on the K-School to increase its focus on public service.