Life With the Jones

Cross Country

Welcome to the Harvard cross country program. Some prefer to call it Life with the Jones.

The Jones, as in superstar junior Suzanne Jones.

Jones, the top finisher for the Crimson at last year's Heptagonals (seventh) and the ECAC Championships (sixth) closed out her incredible sophomore year by finishing second in the 5000-meter race at the NCAA Championships in June.

Coach: Frank Haggerty

1988 Records: 4-2 (Women), 6-3 (Men)

1988 Heps Finish: 4th (Women), 6th (Men)

Combined with Meredith Rainey's victory in the 800-meter race, Jones's efforts gave Harvard its highest finish ever.

And Jones is back to lead a solid women's team returning from its 4-2 1988 record, fourth place finish at the Heps and fifth place at the ECACs. Harvard finished fourth in Region One at the ECACs, placing behind perennial powers Yale and Dartmouth. Also returning for the Crimson are sophomore Amber Duncan, Romney Resney and Jenny Schank.

The Men

For the men's squad, improving on a 6-3 record and a sixth-place finish at the Heps will be hard to manage without the services of graduated senior Brian Caan.

But Harvard will be relying on the services of Ted Ullyot--who finished first in the Crimson's first two races of last year--to help it improve its 15th-place standing at the IC4A/NCAA District One Championships. The Crimson hosts two of the squads it lost to at the IC4As last year, Brown and Dartmouth, along with Rice and Northeastern in a meet at Franklin Park September 30.

Both squads will compete in the Greater Boston Championships October 6, the H-Y-P races at Princeton October 20 and the Heptagonals at Van Cortland Park, N.Y. October 27. The ECAC/IC4A District One Championships November 11 are the opportunity for Jones and company to qualify for the NCAA Championships in Annapolis, Md. November 20.