Netmen Rule Tourney; Netwomen Eliminated

There were many surprises in the opening day of the Harvard Invitational men's tennis tournament, and most were pleasant for the Harvard men's tennis team.

Five Crimson players, including Albert Shyjan, Mark Leschly, Michael Zimmerman, Derek Brown and Albert Chang, last night advanced to the quarterfinal round, which will be played today.

"We had a really good day," Leschly said, "much better than expected. We have five players in the quarterfinals and Rice, which is a really good team, has only one."

Shyjan topped the top-ranked player from Rice, winning the third set, 6-4, and will meet Leschly in the quarterfinals, who beat the top players from Nebraska and Yale.

Brown will play Michael Semler, the top-ranked player from Dartmouth, tomorrow in the round of eight. Chang had to beat teammate Jonathan Cardi to advance to the quarterfinals.

In doubles action, Cardi-Leschly, Zimmerman-Shyjan and Brown-Chang all advanced to tomorrow's quarterfinals.

The Women

Drago, where are you?

Playing without Co-Captain Christina Dragomirescu, who is taking a break from tennis this fall, the Harvard women's squad faltered yesterday at the Syracuse Invitational.

No Crimson member passed the quarterfinals in either singles or doubles.

Harvard's toughest loss of the day came in the quarterfinal round of first-flight doubles, as the duo of Amy deLone and Kim Cooper dropped a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 decision to Tennessee's Alice Bende and Tracy Barton.

In singles action, Tricia Small and Jennifer Minkus each advanced to the quarterfinals, but were eliminated. Small fell, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, to Notre Dame's Pacella.

Minkus lost in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0, to Syrcause's Corinna Bode.