Bush, Gorbachev to Hold Arms Summit

Deputies Prepare Some Agreements on Limiting Chemical Weapons

JACKSON HOLE, Wyo.--President Bush and Soviet Leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev will hold their first summit meeting next year, officials announced Saturday as the two superpowers completed a half-dozen accords and cleared a major roadblock to a treaty on slashing long-range nuclear weapons.

Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard A. Shevardnadze, who spent the weekend in talks with Secretary of State James A. Baker III, said the summit would be held in "spring or early summer." He announced a key concession from Moscow to move ahead toward a long-range weapons agreement despite its objections to the U.S. Star Wars program.

First official word of the summit plans came from Bush, who informed reporters on a golf course near his vacation home in Maine after taking a telephone call from Baker. "I think around the world people will be pleased," he said.

Bush said he would meet Gorbachev in the United States, possibly in Washington.

Bush spoke more than a thousand miles from the snow-capped Rocky Mountain resort where Shevardnadze and Baker reached agreement on a chemical weapons accord and several other points.

The agreements include:

.Exchange of data on chemical weapons by the end of the year and visits by inspectors of the other side to stockpiles and plants by June 30. In a second phase, there would be more intensive on-site inspections of the submitted data.

.An "umbrella agreement" in principle that there should be verification of missile plants and information exchanged even before a treaty to slash long-range nuclear weapons is completed.

.Advance notification to the other side of exercises with long-range bombers and other strategic weapons.

.A ceiling of 10 on launchers carrying mobile intercontinental ballistic missiles at any one base. Some of the launchers would be exposed for monitoring.

.Cooperating to enhance the power of the International Court of Justice to settle disputes.

*Two agreements to facilitate movement across the Bering Straits of Eskimos in Alaska and Eskimos in Siberia for visits.

*Agreement on interpreting international rules for ship movements.

Baker and Shevardnadze flashed the thumbs-up sign as they broke away from their lodge and strolled in the woods in bright sunshine with the majestic Grand Teton mountains looming in the distance. They left behind U.S. and Soviet experts to put the finishing touches on the documents.

The chemical weapons accord will open U.S. and Soviet arsenals and plants to cross-inspection and the two sides will exchange data on the deadly weapon.

The most significant step taken during two days of talks was the Soviets' dropping their insistence that an agreement to curb the U.S. Star Wars missile-defense program be completed before a Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty.

That appeared to break an impasse over talks to slash long-range nuclear weapons arsenals, a senior U.S. official said Friday night.

Among the agreements set for signing were exchanges of data on strategic nuclear weapons, advance notification of strategic weapons exercises.

Additionally, the United States has agreed tothe easing of restrictions on travel in the SovietUnion and by Soviet visitors to America.

After some fishing yesterday morning, the twoministers headed for New York for the opening ofthe United Nations General Assembly today