W. Booters Win Despite Lackluster Performance

By Daniel L. Jacobowitz

It wasn't pretty, but the Harvard women's soccer team will gladly bask in the glow of its 3-0 laugher against Holy Cross yesterday at Worcester.

But Harvard women's soccer Coach Tim Wheaton was slightly less than ecstatic at his team's performance.

"I felt that when you play a team that has less talent, you don't want to keep them in the game," Wheaton said. "You've got to play at the same level no matter whom you play, and I don't think we did that defensively. They hit the crossbar at least twice."

A well-deserved win or not, the Crimson now is coasting on top of a three-game winning streak thanks to a goal-thirsty offense that was championed yesterday by forwards Robin Johnston, Nicole Parent and Annie. Kletz and midfielders Sharon Olken and Tracy Hackeling.

Just 10 minutes into the contest, Olken--who contributed an assist in Saturday's 4-0 thrashing of Cornell--lofted a direct kick from the right of the Holy Cross penalty box. The ball broke toward post, where Hackeling went up and flicked the cross into the upper right corner of the Crusaders net.

Harvard continued to dominate through its sharp passing and ballcontrol offense in the first half. Battling and seizing loose balls, the Crimson jolted Holy Cross with a barrage of scoring opportunities.

With 10 minutes left to play in the half, Johnston plucked a netminder's punt out of the air and headed the ball just short of Parent. The freshman forward bolted towards the defending Crusader, stripped her of the ball at the right fringe of the penalty box and unleashed a blast to put Harvard ahead, 2-0.

Johnston--who tallied one goal and drew a penalty kick against Cornell--once again catalyzed the Crimson onslaught.

With 20 minutes to play in the game, Johnston snared a loose ball and sent it down the left wing to Kletz. With her back to the defending player, Kletz spun, beat her defender and drilled a shot into the Crusaders net. It was her first tally of the season and the Crimson's final score of the day.

"I don't think that [Wheaton] is too happy with the way we played," freshman Laura Flynn said. "But it's a win. I really don't know what [Wheaton] was looking for--at the half he didn't seem too pleased, but I thought we were fine."

NOTEBOOK: Harvard next travels to battle UConn--the fifth-ranked team in New England--on Thursday afternoon. UConn beat the then-#1 North Carolina squad earlier this season, but later fell to B.C. The Crimson defeated the Eagles, 3-0, last Wednesday.

"They're not a team that won't create scoring opportunities," Wheaton said.

Crimson, 3-0 at Worcester, Mass HARVARD  2-1--3 Holy Cross  0-0--0

Goals: H. Tracy Hackeling (Sharon Olken), 10:00; H. Nicole Parent (Robin Johnston). 30:00; H, Annie Kletz (Johnston), 65:00.