Reilly Shuts Out Eagles; Fair Nets Game-Winning Goal

By Liz Resnick

"Oh God, did we need that!"

This was how Captain Beth Reilly summed up the Harvard women's soccer team's 3-0 victory over Boston College yesterday at Ohiri Field.

Harvard (2-3-1 overall, 0-1 Ivy) defeated its Beantown rival handily, quelling all of its pregame worries (read: memories of Friday night's 4-0 disaster against Brown).

B.C. (3-7-1 overall) had given Harvard much to think about, eking out a 1-0 win last Friday against Connecticut, a national power which, earlier in the season, had handed North Carolina its first loss in four years. The Eagles also defeated Dartmouth, 2-0, Sunday.

Senior defender Tory Fair set the tone for the game, executing a textbook diving header off sophomore Sharon Olken's corner kick less than seven minutes into the game to give Harvard a 1-0 lead.

"Tory beat the B.C. player to the ball in the air," Harvard Coach Tim Wheaton said. "That play lit a fire in everyone."

The Crimson did not stop there.

It applied constant pressure throughout the game, recording 22 shots on goal to just 12 for the Eagles. Four Harvard balls hit the post.

"The forwards picked the whole team up by working so hard," Reilly said. "Even when they didn't create anything, the pressure did not allow B.C. any time to do anything."

Harvard added its second and third goals in the second half. Senior Tracy Hackeling took sophomore Nicole Parent's cross and directed her header in a Fair-like manner past B.C. goaltender Teresa Pruett only three-and-one-half minutes into the period.

But the Crimson was not finished yet.

Freshman Betsy Miller knocked in the last of Harvard's goals less than two minutes later. Olken earned her second assist of the afternoon on Miller's score.

"The big difference was the little tactical errors that were corrected," Wheaton said. "We worked very hard and won most of the 50-50 balls. We took it to them and played well."

Fatigue Factor

"We played a tough game on Friday against Connecticut and went to Dartmouth on Sunday," B.C. Coach Theresa Bonorden said. "We were physically tired and mentally drained."

The Crimson had built up Friday's game against Brown to be a critical turning point in its season, and was near-devastated with the results.

"The offense needed to feel productive, and it created many opportunities," Reilly said. "The defense also needed a good outing after giving up a couple of four-goal games."

Crimson, 3-0 at Ohiri Field Boston College  0-0--0 HARVARD  1-2--3

Goals--H, Tory Fair (Sharon Olken), 6:09; H, Tracy Hackeling (Nicole Parent), 47:18; H, Betsy Miller (Olken), 49:50.

Saves--H, Beth Reilly 8, Brooke Donahoe; B, Teresa Pruett 7.

Corner Kicks--Harvard 8; B.C. 7.

Shots--Harvard 22; B.C. 12.