NEWS IN BRIEF

Clothing Store Robbed of Merchandise

Serendipity, a clothing store on Massachusetts Avenue, was broken into and robbed of approximately $6000 to $7000 worth of merchandise at 2:40 a.m. Wednesday morning, police said.

Richard R. Leonard '94 and Andrew W. Kirk '94, who live in a second floor Wigglesworth room directly across from the store, said they witnessed the robbery and called the police.

"We were just lying here and suddenly there was a crack and a bang," said Leonard. "It sounded like someone had thrown in a brick through the window...a good, loud noise." The robber entered the store by breaking its front window, police said.

Kirk said he saw a short, thin, Black man wearing a "big black overcoat and white hat" enter Serendipity, leave the store with "one garment" and drive away in a blue two-door Chevy toward Harvard Square.

Police found a hammer on the scene and are testing it for possible fingerprints, according to police reports.

$160 Stolen From Dunster Grille

Dunster House officials Thursday night told police that someone had broken into the house grill and stolen approximately $186 from the safe cabinet, police said yesterday.

Jim Faeder, one of the co-managers for the grill, said he saw the money in the safe when he left the grill at 2:30 a.m. Thursday morning. However, Faeder said that when he returned at 8 p.m. Thursday night, the money in the cabinet was gone.

Karel Liem, Dunster House master, said he suspected the theft was an "inside job." He said that police found no signs of forced entry into the grill, and that both the grill lock and the cabinet padlock were undamaged.

"Someone must have had the keys into the grill," Liem said, adding that he was saddened to think someone who worked in the grill might have stolen the money.

Jack W. Morse, deputy chief of Harvard Police, said an investigation is under way, although he said no specific detective has been assigned to the case yet.