Council May Meet Prince

The City Council last night voted to invite Prince Turki bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud, whose stay at the Charles Hotel in Cambridge has been marked by controversy, to meet with city leaders to discuss ways he "can participate more fully in our community."

The order proclaimed Cambridge a "city that welcomes its vistors," but at the same time voiced concern over the public criticism leveled at Turki, incorrectly referred to as "Prince Purke" in the resolution. The order asks the council to discuss with the prince his impressions of Cambridge and resolve any misunderstandings.

In a separate order, the council raised concerns that "certain individuals" had claimed exclusive use of Mayor Thomas W. Danehy Park in North Cambridge.

Turki and members of his entourage have come under fire for driving limousines into the park in violation of regulations and for ordering Cantabridgians off the fields while the prince's children played.

Harvard last week canceled a detail of off-duty Harvard police officers that was protecting the prince, saying that the arrangement could give the impression that on-campus security was being neglected.