Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

A Goon Speaks Out

Shenk Tank

By Gary R. Shenk

The "Coles, you suck" chants bloomed earlier than ever Saturday night at Bright Center. Harvard fans chastised Rensselaer's senior forward before the game even started.

Bruce Coles listened to the chants as he skated around the rink during pregame warmups. For him, this punishment was nothing new. His reputation had preceded him around the rinks of the ECAC. Verbal attacks were something he had come to expect, especially at Harvard.

"Harvard's one of the bigger schools that gets on me," Coles said. "I take it as a compliment. I think it shows the respect that they have for me as a player."

C'mon, Bruce. You finished fourth in the ECAC in scoring last year with 18 goals and 20 assists, but Harvard fans don't respect you--they think you're a G-O-O-N. A goon. A crybaby. Someone they'd like to see hit, and hit, and hit again.

Harvard Coach Ronn Tommassoni didn't even want to talk about Coles after Saturday's game. Coles, a brutish, physical forward who tradionally has been among the league's leaders in penalty minutes, is the perfect foil to the wide-open Tommasoni-esque brand of hockey.

"I didn't really notice Coles," Tommasoni said. "He's not my type