Racquetwomen Complete Daily Double Over Trinity

By Daniel E. Kosowsky

The Harvard women's squash team continued its national title defense yesterday, notching an impressive 8-1 victory against Trinity at Hemenway Gym.

"We expected them to be very tough today," Harvard Assistant Coach Chris Schultz said. "I'm surprised that we were able to play as well as we did so early in the season."

A Near Clean Sweep

Trinity scared Harvard by placing last year's Junior Player of the Year Year--Braxton Jones--down in the fifth spot. While Jones prevailed, 3-2, in her match, the Crimson swept the other contests, winning seven 3-0 decisions.

"They played us tough in every match, but we proved that we had what it takes to beat a strong team," Co-Captain Daphne Onderdonk said. "We used our depth to play better throughout.

Yesterday's match featured Crimson freshman Jordanna Fraiburg at the top of the ladder, one of the many signs of a strong future for this Harvard squad. Fraiburg showed no signs of rookie jitters, blanking her opponent, 3-0.

"Although it is different playing in college, I didn't feel any pressure," Fraiburg said. "I am trying to relax and make the adjustment as best as I can."

Harvard Coach Steve Piltch has been living up to the challenge of integrating the new blood with the rest of the defending national champs. Afterlosing 11 seniors from last year's squad, heneeded to look for some younger talent.

"The young team is looking very promising andthe senior captains are doing a great job withtheir leadership ability," Piltch said. "The realtest is to see how this team preforms over thenext four years."

In the more near future, the squad will betravelling to Princeton next week for aninvitational tournament.