Icewomen Conquer Bruins, Get Set For Princeton

Simonds Tallies Lone Goal In Road Win

By Liz Resnick

You have heard the saying, "It went down to the wire."

Well...it went down to the wire.

The Harvard women's hockey team eked out a 1-0 victory against Ivy rival Brown last night in Providence. Harvard (9-4 overall, 3-2 Ivy) finally overcame the Bruin (4-5-2, 1-5-1) after 50 minutes of scoreless play.

It was not until 14:43 of the final period that sophomore wing Ginny Simonds beat Bruin goaltender Kirsten Rendell with a low backhand shot to win the game for the Crimson. Sophomore center Sandra Whyte and Co-Captain Char Joslin assisted on the goal.

"I was in the right place at the right time," Simonds said. "It was really created by Char and Sandra."

Joslin knocked the puck to Whyte who carried it down the ice and lanched a slap-shot at Rendell. The netminder was able to turn that shot away, but Simonds was right there. She collected the rebound and knocked in home.

Harvard netminder Gillian D'Souza, playing with a broken finger, collected her second Ivy shutout with the victory.

The game was marred by a combined total of nine penalties, seven of which came in the first period. Harvard skaters were responsible for only three of those infractions, all of which came in the opening stanza.

"It was a scrappy game, but we hung in there and kept skating," said Simonds, who scored her second goal in two games.

The Crimson (9-4 overall, 3-2 Ivy) outshot the Bruins almost 2-to-1, finishing with 35 shots to Brown's 18.

"We outplayed them," Whyte said. "It was our game."

Harvard dominated the game, but one factor kept the game scoreless--Rendell. The Bruin netminder had a 3.64 goals against average, while saving over 90 percent of attempted shots in previous games.

Harvard was able to blank two standout players on the Brown squad, Jane Corcoran and Whitney Robbins. Both Bruins are among top five scores in the league.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson take the ice again on Friday when they host Princeton at Bright at 2 pm. The Tigers lost to league-leader Cornell, 4-3, at Lynah, last night, dropping their Ivy record to 2-2.