Parties Never Stop On This Texas Island

South Padre Island, Texas

By Mark J. Sneider

During spring break at South Padre Island, Texas the parties never stop.

Never.

From co-ed volleyball matches to raucous barroom contests, the Padre resort complex swells each spring with high school and college students eager to put the winter doldrums behind them and let loose.

Vacationers at Padre begin a typical day at noon. Since the sun is intense all day in this part of the country, there is little need to conform to a rigid tanning schedule.

But while the sunlight may be plentiful at Padre, the beach space is not. Because of the crowds, you may wind up sharing your beach towel with someone else--hardly an incovenience to those interested in meeting others.

Aside from catching rays, there are other ways to release your energy on the beaches of Padre. Surfers can challenge the relatively mild waves of the Gulf of Mexico while others can conquer sand dunes on four-wheeler motorcycles.

If you're in a particularly daring mood, there's always parasailing. Imagine flying hundreds of feet above the shore with the comforting knowledge that the only thing preventing your fall is a nylon parachute.

Many vacationers--especially the younger crowd--at Padre who explore the island enjoy the go-cart tracks. Those who want a respite from the frenzied activity of the beach--especially the older crowd--can relax in a rowboat off the sound and catch fish.

At night, after a dinner at one of the island's Mexican or seafood restaurants, most people take advantage of Padre's nightclub scene. Again, expect the crowds.

If you don't mind the long lines and have even the most laughable ID (the drinking age is technically 21), the large bars and dance floors at Padre are memorable.

Live bands play into the night as vacationers enjoy beers and other drinks. Be prepared to bring a lot of cash, however, because prices for even ordinary drinks can run rather high.

Not surprisingly, the island's most popular drink is "sex on the beach."

Most bars remain open until the early hours of the morning when the drunkest of the crowd stumble back to their hotel rooms or to someone else's. But take precautions. Obnoxious drinkers may find themselves recovering in one of the island's detention centers, which are know for exacting stiff fines on inebriated minors.

The hotels at Padre range from expensive suites to more affordable motels. Because of past incidents of vandalism and recklessness, some hotels keep a vigilant watch over any strangers on their premesis.

Padre Island also offers the vacationer some worthwhile excursions. Located on the southern tip of Texas, the island is less than an hour from the Rio Grande and Matamoros, Mexico.

Matamoros--known for its inexpensive shops and those colorful Mexican ponchos--is best enjoyed in large groups. Last year, a University of Texas student was brutally murdered by a satanic cult just minutes from the main thoroughfare.

Essentially, Padre is a destination for the younger generation. Witness the dismay of families who come there looking for a peaceful getaway. It is not.

The serious minded person, intent on relaxing by the beach with the Sunday edition of The New York Times, should go elsewhere. Padre is not a relaxing place , and none of its newstands sell The New York Times.

Stated simply, Padre is a lot of fun--too much fun for some. So before boarding a plane to Texas, ask yourself if packed beaches, crowded bars and casual sex are what you want in a spring vacation. If so, then party at Padre.