Tigers Knot Icewomen Behind Finney Goal

By Liz Resnick, Special to The Crimson

PRINCETON, N.J.--There was only one minute left in the game when it happened.

The Harvard women's hockey team had the lead, 1-0, and they were seconds away from defeating Princeton here at Hobey Baker Arena.

But it was not to be.

With less than two minutes remaining, sophomore defender Bev Stickles was called for interference in front of the Harvard net. Princeton (5-2-1 Ivy) went on the power play.

With exactly one minute remaining, Tiger foward Sue Finney knocked the puck past Harvard netminder Gillian D'Souza to earn her team a 1-1 tie with the Crimson.

"She [Finney] was in the right place at the time," Harvard Coach John Dooley said. "Gillian played her best game of the season."

D'Souza did have a spectacular day in between the pipes, blanking the potent Princeton front line for 59 minutes.

Harvard (12-8-1 overall, 4-4-1 Ivy) jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second period when Stickles recognized a slow Tiger line change and knocked the puck ahead to sophomore Sandra Whyte, who had broken out of the zone.

Whyte displayed the speed and shooting ability that earned her All Ivy recognition last season, launching a powerful slapshot before the Tigers could collapse on her to give Harvard the lead.

"That was just a great shot," Princeton Coach Bob Ewell said.

The game settled down and was very evenly played throughout the remaining stanzas. After Finney knotted the game, the teams battled for five more minutes in an overtime period.

"We had some good chances and they had some good chances," Dooley said.

Harvard's defensive trio of Stickles, Co-Captain Char Joslin and Sue Cullinane did an excellent job against the Princeton fowards. Joslin and Stickles not only started every period, but played the entire overtime.

How Did They Play?

Dooley was pleased with the game. Ewell, on the other hand, was upset with his team.

"There were only four or five shifts that we played as well as we should," Ewell said. "We were not ready to play, and Harvard was."

Ewell has a habit of denegrating his team's performance. He was not pleased with their 4-3 victory two weeks ago in Bright Center either.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson travels to Hanover, N.H. Tuesday to face Dartmouth in the last regular season game...The four best teams in the league will face off in the Ivy League Tournament Saturday and Sunday afternoons at Bright.

Tie, 1-1 in Princeton, N.J. HARVARD  0-1-0-0--1 Princeton  0-0-1-0--1

First Period: No Scoring. Penalties--H, Lauren Messmore (high sticking) 15:24.

Second Period: 1, H, Sandra Whyte (Bev Stickles) 10:29 (pp). Penalties--P, Sue Finney (roughing) 8:35; H, Gillian D'Souza, served by Elizabeth Hansen (roughing) 8:38; P, Christine Pillsburg (holding) 8:58; H, Stickles (interference) 17:47.

Third Period: 2, P, Sure Finney (Shari Wolkon, Eleanor Tydings) 17:00 (pp). Penalties--H, Sue Cullinane (hooking) 7:00 P, Lyndsay Rowan (tripping) 11:40; H, Stickles (interference) 16:14.

Overtime: No Scoring. Penalties--None.