Coverage of Black Greek Organizations Unfair

MAIL

To The Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing in response to a February 21 article ["Fraternity and Sorority Leaders End Pledging"]. I was quoted in the article as affirming the fact that Black fraternal organizations haze during the pledge process. I did not make such an affirmation in my comments to the author of the article, Lan Nguyen.

In my comments to Ms. Nguyen, I said some chapters of these organizations have been accused of hazing. I further asserted that this may be the reason why presidents of eight Black fraternal organizations recently proposed that the pledge process be eliminated entirely. In her article, Ms. Nguyen excluded three important words from my quote and in the process misconstrued the context of my comments.

In November 1987, my sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., was one of the first Black fraternal organizations to make a public statement against any actions which might be considered physical or mental hazing. This statement was intended to dispel any notion held by those outside the sorority that we condone hazing. The proposal offered last Saturday by the presidents of eight Black fraternities and sororities, including Alpha Kappa Alpha, is simply a suggestion and will be discussed at each of the organization's national conferences.

Although the proposal may be an important news item, just as newsworthy are the many forums and service projects that Black fraternal organizations, like Alpha Kappa Alpha, have implemented to enhance campus and community life for people of color. It disturbs me that neither The Crimson nor The Independent has published an article on the fact that each of the Black fraternities and sororities represented on this campus has established its own scholarship fund to help needy students. Nor have the papers covered any of our forums on South Africa, on improving racial awareness or on images of minorities in the media.

Why doesn't the campus media publish articles on the attributes of black fraternities and sororities? Maybe because they are too numerous to mention. Sharon E. Epperson '90   Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.   Lambda Upsilon Chapter