Law School & Public Service

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The article on recent Harvard Law graduates in the February 9 Crimson was, on the whole, an accurate reflection of what graduates do immediately after graduation. However, some of the statements were misleading and I would like to clarify them.

Statistics on where our graduates are five years after graduation more accurately reflect the impact Harvard Law School graduates have on the public sector. A survey in 1986 showed that 13 percent of our graduates from the Class of 1981 were in government positions and four percent in a wide variety of positions in the area of public interest. Overall, nearly half of the graduates were not employed by the large law firms so often said to dominate the career patterns of our graduates. (It should be noted that many public sector employers do not hire lawyers directly out of law school, preferring lawyers with experience.)

In the section on financial pressures, there was only a brief statement that "the Law School recently started a loan forgiveness plan for those entering public interest careers." In reality, the Low Income Protection Plan has existed at Harvard Law School for 10 years and is one of the most generous plans of its kind in the country. Undergraduates who are applying to law schools and are interested in working in the public sector should find out more about this plan from our Admissions Office.

The last thing I'd like to point out is the reference to a system that asks students to make their decisions on accepting offers from private firms by December 15, "referring to the tactics employed by large law firms." The National Association for Law Placement, a national organization made up of legal employers (public and private) and law school representatives requires law firms to hold offers open until December 15 so that students will have ample opportunity to interview in the fall and make an informed decision. In addition, Harvard Law School requires all but the smallest firms using the facilities of the Office of Career Services to allow a student to hold open one offer from a private firm until April 15 if she or he is searching for a job in the public sector.

I hope that the above information will convey to your readers that Harvard Law School does indeed present a wide range of options for graduates and a solid commitment to those who choose to take the road of public service. N. June Thompson   Director, Career Service