Icemen

for the first 14 minutes of the second period. But after two back-to-back Crimson penalties gave the Black Knights a 5-on-3 advantage on the ice, Army defenseman Scott Schulze fired a slapshot from the left point past Harvard goalie Allain Roy, tying the score at 1-1.

Not for long. Just over a minute later, the first line tallied again as Vukonich recovered a loose puck near the Army goal and passed it to Murphy on the right. Murphy promptly centered to Young, who pushed the puck by Chretien for his 19th goal of the season and a 2-1 Harvard lead.

Ciavaglia scored an insurance goal just 49 seconds into the final period off a Tim Burke assist, putting the game out of reach for the low-scoring Black Knights. The junior forward tallied again on a Crimson power play midway through the period.

"It's hard for us to score goals in this league," Army Coach Rob Riley said. "When we get behind by two, it's really difficult to come back."

Harvard has certainly come a long way since an embarrassing 4-3 loss to Army at Bright Center last November. But the team's mental toughness appeared a bit lax this weekend, and one wonders if it will also be able to prevail against a tough Northeastern squad in the emotional Beanpot game tonight.

"If you can't get up for the Beanpot, you can't get up for anything," Murphy promised.