Robinson Leaves Team

Plans to Pursue Other Activities

By Michael Stankiewicz

Citing a desire for more free time to experience "other things" at Harvard, freshman guard Tchad Robinson has decided to take a leave from the men's basketball team.

"There are some areas at Harvard that I want to find out about and explore to try and get everything out of Harvard that I can," Robinson said in an interview yesterday. "It was really hard for me to do that while I was playing basketball."

Robinson broke into the NCAA with a bang, scoring 10 points in his first half of varsity basketball last November 29 against Duke. Overall, Robinson, the Crimson's eighth-leading scorer at 4.1 points per game, has played 134 minutes while competing in 12 of the team's first 15 games.

"The decision was totally Tchad's," Harvard Coach Peter Roby said. "He has no academic difficulties, no discipline problems, nothing of that nature. He's simply getting his house in order."

Robinson will be warmly welcomed back to the team if he decides to participate in the program again, said Roby, who has described the explosive 6-ft., l-in. Robinson as "a little Ralph James."

Robinson said that he is not sure how permanent the decision is and that there is no timetable as to when he would consider rejoining the program.