Two Students Injured In Fight at Fly Club

By Joshua A. Gerstein

Two students sustained minor injuries early yesterday morning after a fight inside the Fly Club, Harvard police and witnesses said.

Just after 1 a.m., students in Lowell House reported that a woman had run into the courtyard screaming that someone was trying to kill her. Witnesses said a man, who was carrying a pool cue, pursued her into the yard.

"The female was inside the club by a pool table and she was asked to leave," Harvard Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said. Then there "was some kind of a mutual assault," he said.

According to students in the area, both a cue stick and some billiard balls were used as weapons in the altercation.

Johnson, who did not identify the students, said the two people involved gave conflicting statements about the incident.

When police arrived on the scene, they found the woman who had been yelling and a man who was bleeding from a cut on the side of the head. Both were transported by ambulance to University Health Services. They were treated and released a short time later, Johnson said.

According to Johnson, no arrests were made, but the students involved were advised of their rights to take out court complaints.

Since 1985, when the University cut ties with the Fly Club and other finals clubs, Cambridge police have been responsible for investigations of crimes committed there.

Cambridge police responded to yesterday's incident at the Fly Club, but no report was filed, according to the department's public journal.