Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Successful One Night Showing For Cultural Rhythms '90

In the News

By Kelly A.E. Mason

Last Saturday evening, the 27 student ethnic organizations that performed in Cultural Rhythms '90 played to a soldout Sanders Theater.

The Harvard Foundation-sponsored benefit made over $5500, according to director and Associate Professor of Neurology Dr. Allen S. Counter.

Co-executive Producer York M. Eggleston IV '92 said he considered the show a huge success.

"You sell out Sanders on a heavy snow day, you know you're doing a good job," Eggleston said.

The proceeds of the benefit will be evenly divided between The Pine Street Inn, a Cambridge homeless shelter, and Casa Myrna Vasquez, a shelter for battered women and children, the director of the foundation said.

Though the show was financially successful, Counter said that fundraising was not its major goal.

"[The show] is celebrating Harvard's rich cultural diversity," Counter said.

Eggleston also said he saw the focus of Cultural Rhythms '90 as a cultural one.

"The aim of the show is to bring people together, all at once, to give people a chance to look at the different ethnicities, look at the differences in them," he said.

The show consisted of members of student ethnic groups singing, dancing, acting and, in one case, reading poetry. The performance was followed by a food festival, which involved still more student groups setting out ethic food in stands in Memorial Hall. The show, though sponsored by the foundation, was largely student organized.

Eggleston said there are plans being made for another show next year. It will be the sixth annual Cultural Rhythms show.