Confrontation Isn't the Way

DISSENT:

By Marc J. Sneider

AN undergraduate student group has forced the issue of minority hiring into the Junior Parent's Weekend by purposely scheduling a lecture for today at 10:45 a.m.--the same time as three previously scheduled faculty lectures. The issue of minority hiring clearly requires attention, but confrontation is not the appropriate means.

A joint committee of students and administrators developed the itinerary for parents weekend several months ago. It intentionally focused on those topics most engaging for parents--such as student life, extracurricular activities and what it means to be a college student--and not those that are most contentious on campus. In short, the committee put the emphasis on the "parents" in "Junior Parents Weekend."

Nonetheless, the Minority Student Alliance (MSA) recently charged onto the scene, demanding a room for their "alternative" forum and crying foul when administrators initially refused to give them a room at 10:45 a.m.

If MSA's intention is to increase awareness and not to engage in self-defeating demonstrating, then why did they slate their lecture to overlap the official schedule, thereby inviting a low turnout?

MSA got its room, but that doesn't mean our parents have to sacrifice their weekend agenda to encourage such confrontational tactics.