Cager's James Named All-Ivy, Co-Captain

Crimson Also Names Mitchell Co-Captain

By Michael Stankiewicz

What a year for the underclass it's been, at least in Ivy League men's basketball.

Yesterday's announcement of the league's all-star team illustrated that the best and the brightest will still be playing in Ivy League gyms next year. Harvard's Ralph James was one of four juniors who were named to the All-Ivy First Team. Joining James as honorees were Princeton center Kit Mueller, who was named Ivy Player of the Year, Yale forward Dean Campbell, Penn center Hassan Duncombe and Dartmouth center Walter Palmer, the only senior on the squad.

Harvard sophomore Ron Mitchell was named to the All-Ivy Second Team, joined by Princeton senior Matt Lapin, Yale sophomore Ed Petersen, Penn senior Jerry Simon and Cornell sophomore Shawn Maharaj.

And both James and Mitchell received even better news yesterday when their teammates named them to be next year's captains.

James led the league in scoring with 22.3 points per game and finished 10th in the league with 6.4 rebounds per game. The 6-ft., 4-in. forward set the league on fire the second week of February, scoring 35 points in the Crimson's loss in Princeton and then coming back with a school-record 41 points the next night at the Palestra in a victory over Penn.

James probably would be considered a pro prospect if he manages to improve his ball-handling skills tremendously in the next year.

However, James' chances for Player of the Year diminished in the last few weeks, as his shooting suffered from the effects of a shoulder separation which sidelined him in December. In consecutive games against Cornell and Penn, James shot only 8-for-40 from the field as Harvard lost twice and fell out of the Ivy race.

James' slump allowed the steady Mueller to capture the Tigers' second consecutive Player of the Year honors, following Bob Scrabis, who won it last year. Mueller, who played a big role in Princeton's near-upset of Georgetown last March in the first round of the NCAA tournament, led the Tigers in scoring with 14 points per game, finishing eighth in the league.

Mueller is already Princeton's fifth-leading career scorer with 1142 points and his total of 132 assists this year was the second highest in the history of Tigers basketball. He is also the number-four career assist leader at Princeton.

While Harvard freshman Tyler Rullman made waves around the league, Brown center Carlos Williams, who dominated the Crimson in the Bruins' two wins over Harvard this Year, was named Ivy Rookie of the Year yesterday. Williams, led the league in rebounding, snaring 10 boards per game, and field goal percentage (58 percent).

"The biggest difference in our team this year is that Carlos Williams came forward," Brown Coach Mike Cingiser said after the Bruins' 80-60 win over Harvard Friday. "The players look to him in games because he has produced."

Neely-Weely

Following the Harvard women's basketball team's65-64 upset of Dartmouth Tuesday, spoiling the BigGreen's perfect Ivy record and possibly knockingit out of contention for an NCAA tournament bid,the Crimson didn't have as much luck when theAll-Ivy awards were announced yesterday.

Guard Beth Wambach was the only Harvard playernamed All-Ivy, garnering second-team honors afterfinishing fourth in the league with 18.1 pointsper game. Wambach set a school record this yearwith 435 points, breaking Beth Chandler's recordset last year (418 points).

Named to the First Team All-Ivy squad werePlayer of the Year Sophia Neeley of Dartmouth,Yale's Tonya Lawrence, Princeton's Sandi Bittler,Brown's Maia Baker and Penn's Kirsten Brendel, theonly junior on the squad. Joining Wambach on thesecond team were Columbia junior Kathy Gilbert,Dartmouth senior Allison Greene, Dartmouth juniorNicole Hager, Yale senior Paula Kenefick andCornell junior Karen Walker.

Brown's Shelly Weaver grabbed Rookie of theYear honors, starting every Ivy game for theBruins and finishing with 9.8 points per game andfifth in the league with 3.2 assists per game