University Fined for Pollution

DEP Cited Improper Asbestos Removal During Renovation

By Lan N. Nguyen, with Wire Dispatches

Named the pollutor of the month by the Department of Enviromental Protection (DEP), Harvard has been fined for the improper removal of asbestos during its summer renovation work on the Faculty Club building.

Harvard and two contractors were asked to pay a total of $50,000 in February for improper handling of the asbestos, said DEP officials. The lack of protective measures may have exposed nearby residents, construction workers and passers-by to asbestos, they said.

"We're trying to get the message out, not just to violaters, but to people who might experience the same issue," said Andrew Savitz, the Massachusetts assistant secretary of enviromental law. "There's a lot of construction going on around the Commonwealth and it is important that they understand that they check and double check if they are engaged in demolition work where there might be asbestos."

But University officials said yesterday that they found the fine to be "inappropriate" and added that they plan to appeal.

"We were aware of the asbestos--that's why we were testing," said Harvard's Vice President and General Counsel Daniel Steiner '54 yesterday. "Some was released into the open air, but it poses no risk to the public."

Asbestos was released into the air because the contractors demolished parts of the building before removing the cancer-causing fiber. Harvard administrators said yesterday it was a case of "miscommunication" when the ceiling was demolished while the last test was being conducted.

"It was not good enough coordination during that particular testing and removal," said Steiner.

Eastern Demolition Contractors, one of thecontractors, detected asbestos in the ceilingwhile working on it and notified the DEP, saidLaurence H. Brady, the president of the company.

Despite assurances that a University hygienistwho surveyed the building discovered no asbestosin the ceiling when the construction work began,the construction company was fined with Harvardand Shawmut Design and Construction.

"I was not paid to remove asbestos," said Bradyyesterday, "[Harvard] had their own people to dothat. I'm a victim of this."

Eastern Demolition Contractors was fined$22,400, Harvard University Planning Group $21,000and Shawmut Design and Construction $17,250.

DEP complaints leveled against Harvard allegedthat the asbestos was not removed beforedemolition, which released dry, crumbling asbestosinto the air; the construction area was not sealedand the debris was dropped down a chute into anopen dumpster.

After work on the Faculty Club was halted inJune, renovation was completed with a newcontractor licensed for asbestos removal under aDEP approved plan, according to DEP spokespersonThomas Higgins