Former Asst. Law Dean Dies in Korea at Age 46

Frederick E. Snyder, a former administrator at the Law School, died in Seoul, Korea last week.

Snyder, 46, had been assistant dean for international and comparitive legal studies until January of this year, when he stepped down to found a private international commerce firm called Cambridge Transnational Associates of Boston.

Snyder joined the Law School in 1977 as a fellow in law and humanities. He became an assistant dean in 1978 and a lecturer on law in 1980.

During his law school career, Snyder held a number of other administrative posts, including director of clinical program, director of financial aid and associate director of East Asian legal studies.

Snyder is credited with reforming the Law School's graduate program and teaching innovative courses.

"Fred has made important contributions to the school," said former Law Dean James Vorenberg '49 in a prepared statement. "We have been beneficiaries of his great ability and his commitment to the school."

Snyder grew up in Kingston, New York before receiving his undergraduate degree from Georgetown University in 1966. He received his Ph.D. from Yale in 1970, his law degree from Georgetown Law Center in 1974 and his masters of law from Harvard in 1977.

Snyder wrote or co-wrote a number of books, including Third World Attitudes Toward International Law, Latin American Society and Legal Culture and Alternative Methods of Dispute Settlement: A Selected Bibliography.

He leaves a brother, sister and a niece.