Victim Undergoes Surgery After Central Square Stabbing

A man was undergoing surgery in a Boston hospital early this morning following a stabbing in Central Square last night.

The victim was in stable condition before he went into surgery, according to Massachusetts General Hospital spokesperson David Daley. He said the man was being treated for stab wounds to the chest and stomach, but declined to identify him.

When police and emergency crews arrived on the scene, the victim was lying on the sidewalk in front of the Manhattan Clothing and Shoe store at 563 Mass. Ave.

Soon after the incident, police placed several men under arrest at the Hi-Fi Pizza and Giant Sub store, which is located at 496 Mass. Ave., two blocks east of where the victim was found.

Police appeared to be concentrating their investigation last night in parking lots behind Central Square shops.

The stabbing occurred in a part of the city known as Area Four, which has recently been plagued by widespread crime. Police beefed up patrols in the neighborhood recently after residents complained that drug dealing and other crimes were rampant there.