Sorrento Leads Twins Over Red Sox, 3-2

BOSTON--Paul Sorrento, nephew of Crimson Production Supervisor Patrick R. Sorrento, tripled home the go-ahead run in the ninth inning as the Minnesota Twins rallied to beat the Boston Red Sox 3-2 Monday night.

With the Twins trailing 2-1, Kent Hrbek led off the ninth with a double off reliever Jeff Gray (1-3).

Greg Gagne was sent in to pinchrun and scored the tying run on Brian Harper's single. Harper scored when Sorrento's long fly ball sent center fielder Kevin Romine crashing into the left-centerfield wall.

Enough is Enough

The ball was eventually fielded by left fielder Mike Greenwell, who threw to second baseman Jody Reed. Reed's peg home beat Sorrento, who was trying for an inside-the-park homer.

Romine was helped from the field and replaced by Randy Kutcher.

Juan Berenguer (7-2), who relieved starter Mark Guthrie with two outs in the seventh, got the win. Rick Aguilera worked the ninth for his 22nd save.

Boston starter Wes Gardner pitched seven strong innings, giving up five hits and striking out six.

The Red Sox took a 1-0 lead in the second when Ellis Burks led off with a double, moved to third on Mike Greenwell's single off Hrbek's glove, and scored as Tony Pena hit into a double play.

The Twins tied it in the third when Fred Manrique bunted for a single, moved to third on an Al Newman's single and scored as Dan Gladden hit into a fielder's choice.

The Red Sox moved ahead 2-1 in the sixth. Carlos Quintana led off with a single, went to second as Burks' infield grounder and scored when second baseman Manrique misplayed Greenwell's grounder.