Larry Beeferman

FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE:

TWO years ago, newcomer Alvin E. Thompson shocked the Cambridge political establishment with a narrow win over longtime incumbent Saundra Graham in the Democratic primary for state representative in the 28th district.

In hindsight, few were surprised by Thompson's victory. Relying on a distinguished record in the State House, Graham ran a lackadaisical campaign effort, and many of her constituents acknowledged that she deserved to lose.

Now it is Thompson who faces a primary battle against a political newcomer, and once again--although for vastly different reasons--Cambridge voters should replace the incumbent with an unknown challenger.

Thompson's failings as a legislator are by no means obvious. On the whole, he has proved himself a decent state representative, one whose heart is clearly in the right place. He supports abortion rights and health care, opposes the death penalty and opposes the petition of the Citizens for Limited Taxation to roll taxes back to their 1988 levels.

But he has yet to use his post to take new initiatives or to promote new solutions to the state's problems. Particularly when dealing with the state's mounting fiscal crisis, Thompson has been content to follow the majority of his Democratic colleagues--no questions asked.

Thompson and his opponent, Larry W. Beeferman, hold virtually indistinguishable positions on most major issues. The difference is that Beeferman will bring an energy to the post that Thompson--who was elected merely by being in the right race at the right time--apparently lacks. Beeferman's background in public service law qualifies him to be a legislator, and his commitment to a liberal and independent-minded social agenda qualify him for our support.

It would be no tragedy if the city's voters returned Alvin Thompson to office this fall. But Cambridge can clearly do better, and Beeferman deserves a shot at the job.