Stereotypes

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Recently, I had the upsetting experience of reading Joshua M. Sharfstein's ridiculous and unfair allegations about Harvard football players. At first glance, one might think that Sharfstein was attempting to drum up support for the team, a laudable effort for a school newspaper. However, by the conclusion of his article, he had successfully degraded a large number of student-athletes.

As a senior, I feel lucky to have gotten to know many of the players on the Harvard football team. While as in any large group--be it a chemistry club, dance troupe, student government association, or even a football team--there may be a few bad apples, on the whole they are an intelligent, interesting and hard-working group of young men. Maybe if people like Sharfstein were not so quick to pre-judge and rely on stereotypical ideas, they would have some clue as to the realities of the Harvard football team and there would indeed would be more fans at the Stadium on game days.

Sharfstein reminds the reader to "remember, deep down, that these were the guys who poured spaghetti in your book bag [in high school]. Well, Mr. Sharfstein, judging by the way you treat them, I hope they got your bag, too. Robert D. Patton '91