City Manager Talks Cambridge Emergency Shelter, Discourages Street Closures in Council Meeting

On Leave Due to COVID-19 Concerns, Forty-Three Harvard Dining Workers Risk Going Without Pay

Harvard Prohibits Non-Essential University Travel Until May 31, International Travel Cancelled Until August 31

Ivy League Will Not Allow Athletes to Compete as Grad Students Despite Shortened Spring Season

‘There’s No Playbook’: Massachusetts Political Campaigns Navigate a New Coronavirus Reality

Harvard Junior Mugged Near Leverett Towers

A Harvard junior was mugged early Sunday morning on the corner of DeWolfe and Cowperthwaite Sts., the student said.

Returning from Mather House at 1:30 a.m., the Kirkland House resident said he was first accosted by a young man of about 20, who grabbed him by the neck and demanded his wallet.

"I was too stunned to react at first, and then another guy came up and started hitting me in the head and kicking me," said the student, who requested anonymity.

He said he relinquished his wallet, which contained "about $50 or $60". Two other youths, apparently working with the original attackers, arrived and warned of the approach of a police officer, the student said.

As the four men walked off, the student said, he turned the corner and found a Metropolitan Police patrol car on DeWolfe Street.

According to the student, he and the officer gave chase and "within two or three minutes one suspect had been positively identified and the other three detained."

"I was really impressed by the Metropolitan Police. Half a dozen squad cars arrived almost immediately, and the officers handled the whole situation excellently," he said.

Metropolitan Police confirmed that they were investigating the incident, but said they could not release details about the case.