Israel Is the Only True U.S. Ally

By Neil A. Cooper

EVER since World War II, United States foreign policy has wavered between favoring the Arab states in the Middle East and favoring Israel. Virtually all presidents have tried to emphasize American ties with Arab leaders at the beginning of their presidency. Eisenhower tried to cultivate Iraq's Qassam. Kennedy and Johnson tried to cultivate Egypt's Nasser. So did Nixon. Carter wooed the Shah of Iran and Reagan the Saudis.

But sooner or later, these presidents realized how fruitless such pursuits were. By the end of their terms, most were convinced that America's only stable and reliable ally in the Middle East is the only democracy in the Middle East--Israel.

Recent events in the Persian Gulf have proven that point once again. In the beginning of his presidency, George Bush courted Iraq's Saddam Hussein with aid and arms and continued U.S. negotiations with Yassir Arafat of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). But the events preceding and during the Gulf War have made it clear that United States interests lie in a unique and firm alliance with Jewish state, not with Arab dictators.

Here's how the key players in the Middle East have acted during the Gulf Crisis:

Iraq. Invaded and pillaged Kuwait. Threatened to invade Saudi Arabia. Launched unprovoked, terrorist missile attacks on innocent civilian targets in Israel and called for world-wide terrorist attacks on American interests.

The PLO. Offered to help Saddam by attacking American interests in the Middle East and around the world.

(As for the Palestinian people, Palestinians in Jordan laughed and cheered when Hussein attacked Israel. Palestinians in Lebanon demonstrated, demanding that Hussein use chemical and biological weapons instead of conventional ones.)

Jordan. Condemned Operation Desert Storm. Sided with Saddam and ignored Iraqi missile violation of Jordanian airspace.

Syria. Refused to commit troops to offensive action against Iraq. At one point, hinted that it might switch sides and defend Iraq if Israel retaliated.

Egypt. Wavered for several days on a promise not switch sides if Israel tried to defend itself, despite its peace treaty with Israel and $6 billion in debt relief from the United States.

Saudi Arabia. Permitted the despicable treatment of American troops despite the obvious need for American help, Prevented soldiers from worshipping openly during Christmas Admitted Jewish-American soldiers only under severe pressure from the United States. Forced American soldiers to wear cumbersome long garb in the broiling Saudi desert.

Israel. Honored American requests not to retaliate for or defend itself from Iraqi missile attacks in order to preserve the allied coalition.

These attacks--on civilian centers--caused more than 75 casualities, including at least three deaths from heart attacks and three deaths--including the death of a three-year-old--from asphyxiation. Israel also endured severe psychological trauma from the constant threat of chemical and biological attack and Hussein's desire to turn Tel Aviv into a "crematorium."

Despite rising public demands for selfdefense in the wake of this tragedy, all evidence suggests that the Israeli government will do everything it can to preserve the coalition.

THE differences between the Israeli actions and those of the Arab states are truly remarkable. There is little doubt that Israel has best promoted American interests, while Arab leaders have shown little genuine support for the U.S.

With his remarkable acumen for foreign policy, President Bush has responded well to the Gulf events. On Saturday, he rewarded Israel by sending American military personel to Israel with the Patriot surface-to-missile defense system. But even the Patriot has not alleviated the danger that Iraqi missiles pose for Israel.

Bush and Congress must do more to cement the relationship and give Israel the support the country deserves. To support Israel's security, Bush must warn itchytrigger-fingered Arab leaders that any attack on Israel will be considered an attack on American vital interests and will evoke a military response. Further, the U.S. command must immediately coordinate efforts with the Israeli Defense Forces, to give Israel the capability to attack Iraq.

In light of Hussein's actions, the United States government should speed any Israeli requests for military hardware, and cancel any arms sales to Arab nations that could have damaging future consequences for Israel or America.

In addition, the Bush administration should redouble the United State's effort to repeal the pyschologically damaging 1975 United Nations resolution equating zionism with racism. Finally and most important, Bush must recognize that a Palestinian state filled with people like the blood-thirsty demonstrators in Lebanon and Jordan could hardly promote American interests. He must continue to resist linkage between the Gulf War and the Palestinian question and must insist that no international conference take place without serious assurances for broad-ranging, all-inclusive Arab-Israeli peace.