The Search Is On . . . And Almost Over

By Philip P. Pan

Who will be the 26th president of Harvard University?

As the search committee charged with selecting a successor for outgoing President Derek C. Bok enters its ninth month of deliberation, the big question remains unanswered.

But it may be answered soon enough. According to sources close to the committee, the selection could be made any time in the next six weeks. The final decision was originally going to be made in January or early February, but the search is reportedly running behind schedule.

Harvard's Board of Overseers--the alumni-elected body that must approve the search committee's final choice--will meet in Boston early this month. Most observers say, however, that the search committee will not be prepared with a selection at that time, and may need to call a special meeting of Harvard's governing boards.

A nine-member search committee chaired by Corporation member Charles P. Slichter '45, was appointed last June to find a successor to Bok. Last week, however, search committee member Colman M. Mockler '52, died, leaving eight Corporation members and Overseers to make the final selection.

Last fall, committee members revealed the profile of the man or woman they would select as Harvard's chief executive: a recognized scholar in his or her 40s or mid-50s with extensive administrative experience. And while a Harvard background is not a prerequisite for the presidency, they said, it is a tradition.

Thus far, only one change has reportedly been made to that vision. A paucity of prospects in their 40s has forced committee members now to consider older candidates as well, sources say.

In recent interviews with The Crimson, sources close to the selection process said a number of educators from inside and outside the University remain on the list, and fit the description.

The List

The Harvard professors and administrators named as short list candidates include: Kennedy School Dean Robert D. Putnam; Baker Professor of Economics Martin S. Feldstein '61; Andrus Professor of Genetics Philip Leder '54 and Houghton Professor of Chemistry Jeremy R. Knowles.

In addition, several presidents and administrators from other schools have been widely mentioned as possible candidates: Indiana University President Thomas Ehrlich '56; Duke University Provost Philip A. Griffiths; Wellesley President Nannerl O. Keohane and Rice University President George E. Rupp.

Dartmouth President James O. Freedman '57, who was mentioned early on as a top candidate, is still under consideration. But sources said he was not likely to be selected because committee members held sharply divided opinions about him.

And acting Dean of the Faculty Henry Rosovsky, who issued a public statement over the summer saying that he was not a candidate for the presidency, may nonetheless be a "back-up" choice if the committee cannot reach a consensus, sources say.

This list is neither exhaustive nor final, however, and a number of other candidates are under consideration, administrators say.

The committee has conducted scores of interviews with deans, faculty members and influential alumni around the country, and sent out more than 200,000 letters to students, faculty, staff and alumni soliciting their suggestions about the search.

But despite the appearance of openness, the committee has kept an airtight lid on information about the status of the search, and the process has been sharply criticized by watchdog groups and some students.

Students eager to predict the name of the next president have been left to sift through an assortment of rumors, "long lists," "medium lists" and "short lists." Some students are betting that the new president will be from Harvard; others are betting that the new president will be an outsider.

But most agree that the only sure bet is that the name of the new president will be a complete surprise.

The Candidates

The list includes:

* Thomas Ehrlich '56

Indiana University President

* Martin S. Feldstein '61

Baker Professor of Economics

* James O. Freedman '57

Dartmouth President

* Philip A. Griffiths

Duke University Provost

* Nannerl O. Keohane

Wellesley College President

* Jeremy R. Knowles

Houghton Professor of Chemistry

* Philip Leder '54

Andrus Professor of Genetics

* Robert D. Putnam

Kennedy School Dean

* George E. Rupp

Rice University President