M. Booters Upset Eleventh-Ranked Terriers, 3-2

Daigle Tallies Twice as Crimson Holds On to Defeat Number-One Team in New England

After Sunday's overtime loss to Hartwick, Harvard Men's Soccer Coach Mike Getman swore that his team was playing well. It just wasn't getting the lucky breaks.

Yesterday, his team got those breaks, as Harvard (4-5-0, 0-2-0 Ivy) upset Boston University, 3-2, in a come from behind victory at Ohiri Field.

The victory not only provided a shot in the arm to Harvard--which had lost four of its last five games--but it also dealt a major blow to the Terriers (7-3) who were ranked number one in New England and 11th in the country going into the game.

BU dominated the first 25 minutes of the contest, taking a 1-0 lead and controlling the ball almost the entire time.

Harvard bounced back, however, scoring three goals over the next 45 minutes, two from senior Don Daigle, to secure the win.

"Today, we displayed the maturity and composure that this team has had all year," Getman said. "When we were down 1-0, we didn't panic and kept our cool."

"We just were not in the game emotionally or physically," BU Coach Neil Roberts said. "We didn't really start playing until it was 3-1."

The Terriers grabbed the early lead when senior Phil Dunn hit a blast from the left corner of the goalie's box that landed in the right corner of the net just under 15 minutes into the game.

Early on, BU managed to shut down the Crimson offense, which was playing against a strong wind.

"It took our guys a couple of minutes to get used to [the BU defense], but we adjusted," Getman said.

With just over 13 minutes remaining in the first half, the Crimson got on the board when Captain Brian Enge hammered a ball over BU goalie Brad Rubin from ten feet out, after Rubin had lost control of the ball.

In the middle of the second half, Harvard got one of those lucky breaks that Getman wanted so badly. Officials awarded a direct penalty to Harvard after a Terrier defender was called with choking defender was called with choking Jason Luzak inside the goalie's box.

With 23:34 remaining in the game, Daigle bounced a kick off the left post and into the goal for the 2-1 lead.

Daigle collected his second goal eight minutes later when he received an assist from Luzak that left him one-on-one against Rubin.

As Rubin came out from the pipes, Daigle managed to push the ball past him on the right to give the Crimson a two goal advantage.