UC Members Cleared

NEWS BRIEFS

The executive board of the Undergraduate Council last night voted to retain two new members whose campaign methods had been contested.

In its first post-election meeting, the executive board decided to clear Vladimir V. Ragulin '94 of Adams House and John Hoffman '94 of Mather House. Students had accused the two members of violating council campaign regulations.

An Adams House resident charged that Ragulin held a campaign-related party before the official date for entering the race.

Although Ragulin last night admitted to holding the party, he said that it was simply "a mixer for sophomores to be introduced to the Adams House lifestyle."

There were no posters or other forms of propaganda at the party and advertising took place with no mention of his name, he said.

Hoffman, one of several write-in candidates that succeeded in winning a seat on the council last week, allegedly placed position papers on the table with those of the officially registered candidates.

The Mather House representative also allegedly campaigned in the dining hall, which is a violation of council rules.

Council treasurer Alliric I. Willis '92 said the council took no action against Hoffman because of a "lack of definitive evidence."