Ask What You Can Do For Your Country . . . A Sophomore Vies for Local School Board

By Ray W. Rodriguez

Somerville native Robert E. Giannino '94 sees himself as a local success story, and now he is making an effort to ensure that others follow in his footsteps.

The Harvard sophomore has taken a year off to work at the Thomas Jefferson Center, a local organization which creates community service programs in Somerville schools. And on top of this, the young student has decided to run for a seat on the Somerville School Committee.

If elected on Nov. 5, Robert E. Giannino '94, will become the youngest person ever to be elected to the committee and the youngest municipal official in Massachussetts.

Giannino, a graduate of Sommerville High School, says he wants to serve on the school committee to repay the debt he feels he owes his community. "The Somerville schools gave me a whole lot and I feel the best way to give back is to serve in this position on the school committee," says Giannino.

Giannino decided to run for the school committee last November. The main inspiration to run came from support at home. "The immediate cause is that at my graduation in 1990, two parents came up to me and said, you are going to make a great public servant someday soon--the sooner the better."

Giannino says, "I love politics and I love helping people," and insists that his endeavor is just a continuation of past community involvement. While at Harvard, the undergrad says he was an active member of Phillips Brooks House (PBH). He has worked at the Thomas Jefferson Forum since his senior year of high school.

"He made it pretty obvious from the get go that he was running," says Carlos R. Perez '94, Giannino's roommate last year. Giannino ran his campaign from their dorm--according to Perez, there was always campaign literature lying around.

Shani Lester '94, a friend of Giannino's who attended his campaign kick-off, says he was very impressed by him. "I was really amazed," says Lester. "I'e never heard any one of any age, but especially my own age, speak so concisely."

Tough Competition

Giannino faces 12-year incumbent Stan Coty for the school board seat. As yet, says Giannino, the Coty campaign has not commented on the student's candidacy.

According to Giannino, polls that his campaign has conducted indicate that he is currently within just a few percentage points of his opponent. "[Coty] is not doing anything, and that's what's going to hurt him in the end," says Giannino.

To people who charge that his youth hurts his candidacy, Giannino counters that his youth and innovation are his main advantage. "I am offering new, creative, innovative ideas," Giannino says.

"The Chinese symbol for crisis is the same as the Chinese symbol for opportunity. It is important to me that someone is in office who can turn crisis into opportunity."

Somerville is currently faced with severe budget cuts. One of Giannino's "new and innovative" ideas for successful schools is to encourage local businesses to become more involved with the school system. Businesses should participate in efforts to educate students about how their businesses operate, says Giannino. They also should assist by providing goods and services to the schools, he adds.

The schools in turn would provide businesses with skilled labor that is in demnand, Giannino explains.

Prepared for Power

Giannino says that the academic, political and social life at Harvard has given him practice at creative problem solving--a skill that will help him serve better if elected. In response to questions about how he will manage his time as a student and a council member, he answers, "Every man and woman that's on the school committee has a 40-hour-a-week job along with their tenure on the committee."

If elected, Giannino will serve his term while attending Harvard by "commuting" home for school committee meetings.

After returning to Harvard, Giannino says he intends to begin as a government concentrator. His ultimate career goal, he says, is to become a U.S. Senator.