New York, New Result?

Crimson Travels to The Bronx in Search of Victory

By Sean Becker

We've all heard the stories about the Bronx. Mean streets. Gangs. Mobsters. Certainly not the kind of place for a group of Ivy Leaguers to spend their weekend.

But this year's Fordham football team doesn't seem to be living up to the reputation of its neighborhood, and the Bronx might not be such a dangerous place for the Harvard football team as it travels to Jack Coffey Field to play the Rams.

After being double-digit under-dogs the past two weeks, the Crimson will assume a new role, that of favorite against the 1-3 Rams. Fordham opened its season with consecutive losses to Lehigh, Bucknell and Princeton, before rebounding with last week's 20-16 win over Columbia.

"We're trying to get some consistency," said Fordham Coach Larry Glueck. "Our record has been a little misleading in that we've been in all the games we've played. We've been hurting ourselves offensively with mistakes, and we've got to play error-free football if we want to beat Harvard."

One thing that Glueck's team has going for it is the fact that Harvard quarterback Mike Giardi's arm remains in a sling. Giardi's shoulder separation will keep him on the sidelines today and put classmate David Morgan in the limelight. Morgan, who stepped in for Giardi last week and threw for 37 yards on 2-for-5 passing, will get the starting nod.

With a new signal-caller running Joe Restic's multiflex, don't expect too much razzle dazzle. Some scholars have spent a lifetime trying to figure out the intricacies of the multiflex. Don't expect Restic to burden his new quarterback with all of the complexities of the offense.

Running backs Kendrick Joyce and Robb Hirsch should see the ball often today, as could tight end Andy Lombara. Should Restic allow Morgan to open up the offense, split ends Colby Maher and Matt Johnson could put some points on the board.

"The [Harvard] offense pretty much speaks for itself," Glueck said. "Restic will tailor a few things for the next quarterback, but the system will be intact. We'll have a lot to defend."

And if anyone knows how to defend the Harvard offense, it should be Glueck. The Fordham coach spent 13 years in Cambridge as an assistant to Restic. Glueck left the Crimson for Fordham in 1986, and has compiled a 27-27-1 record since.

"One way to stop [Harvard] is to keep their people on the sidelines," Glueck said. "Our offense will be extremely important if we're going to neutralize the Harvard attack."

Leading the Fordham offense will be senior quarterback Gary Brennan, who has thrown for 738 yards and 5 touchdowns in his first four games. Brennan will look for receiver John Potamousis, who has already hauled in two TD's and compiled 230 yards receiving.

The Rams running game is still hurting from the preseason loss of number-one halfback Darren Nelson, but look for Scott Helverson (36 carries for 116 yards) to pick up the slack.

Fifteen starters return from last year's Rams team that lost, 19-13, at the Stadium.

"Last year, they certainly blitzed the heck out of our quarterback," said Glueck. "And they blocked two kicks that led to nine points. Our special teams let us down. We've got to eliminate those types of mistakes this year."