Cambridge May Lose Funding

Weld Proposal Would Threaten Sewer Improvement Project

By Erick P. Chan

The City of Cambridge stands to lose nearly $10 million in state aid if a budget- saving proposal by Gov. William F. Weld '66 is approved by the Massachusetts legislature.

Last week, The Boston Globe reported that Weld announced plans to eliminate virtually all local aid in the hope of streamlining the state's economy.

According to The Globe, Cambridge would be one of the hardest hit by the cuts. The city is in the middle of a multi-million dollar sewer improvement project, which was to have been mostly paid for by the state.

Instead, Cambridge may have to come up with alternate sources of funding for the $13.1 million bill, according to Cambridge City Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55.

Although such massive cuts often are accompanied by higher taxes and reduced programs, Duehay said, the cuts "would not directly affect local services."

Cambridge began revamping its aging and deteriorating sewer system in the 1970s. The plan was to eliminate the sewage run-offs caused by heavy rains, which ultimately end up in the Charles River and pollute the river and its environs.

Source of Funds

Cambridge financed its sewer project in accordance with the Water Pollution Abatement Trust, created in 1989 to provide $10 billion in aid for sewer repairs and water cleanup.

But the money needed to fund the sewer projects is no longer available, and if the state accounts designated for local aid are cut by the Weld proposal, Cambridge will have to look elsewhere for funding.

Although the cuts have a potentially severe impact upon Cambridge, Duehay noted that his constituents have expressed only mild concern. He explained, "Most do not truly understand it the situation."

Duehay said, "Government should be a partnership. The local government should pay for part, the state government should pay for part and the federal government should pay for part."

He faulted the Reagan Administration for eliminating the funds for the Clean Water Act--a federal bill that would have given money to the states for water system improvements--thereby forcing the cost of repairs upon the state and local governments.

When asked what Cambridge can do, Duehay said, "We must lobby our elected representatives in the state senate."

Cambridge's fate is not yet sealed, however. Weld's proposal is still pending in the legistature.