VOTE FOR ME!

Some do it out of an insatiable desire to serve fellow students. Some do it out of, well, ego. When it comes to the Undergraduate Council, though, They all have the same message.

By D. RICHARD De silva

It's a kinder, gentler Undergraduate Council.

This year's race for the council does not surround the kind of political issues which have been known to surface during council campaigns of the past. Gone are the days of heated debate about ROTC, divestment and final clubs.

This year's campaign doesn't have scathing attacks on the shortcomings of last year's members.

In fact, it doesn't even have that many candidates vying for the 88 council slots.

Actually only 106 candidates have registered to run for the council this week--down from 168 last year--so that incumbents expect to dominate races that appear to lack any genuinely divisive issues.

In several houses, including Cabot, Dunster, Kirkland and Mather, only five candidates are vying for five seats. Quincy House is the site of the heaviest competition, yet it has only nine candidates wrestling for five positions.

This year's campaigns reflect the council's shift in recent years towards more service-oriented issues, according to outgoing chair Robert C. Rhew '92. He says that, in the past, the council had taken a greater interest in "very practical approaches to things" instead of debating "esoteric" political issues.

The most popular campaign issues center around greater communication between the council and its constituents, better shuttle services, improved campus security and repealing limited randomization of housing choices.

First-year candidates are presenting the most exhaustive and specific lists of campaign promises, responding to complaints about long lines in the Union and expository writing sectioning while vowing to facilitate recycling and put change machines in the laundry rooms.

Because the campaigns are generally far less competitive this year, one veteran council representative expressed skepticism about the quality of candidates campaigning this year.

"With a considerable lack of candidates, and people basing their candidacy on who they know, the council may have a serious problem with attendance by the end of the semester," said the representative, who asked not to be identified.

Under the council's "hare proportional vote" balloting scheme, voters indicate the order of preference they hold for candidates. Thus, candidates have a better chance of victory if they have a smaller group of voters who strongly support them rather than a larger group of voters who grudgingly support them, according to last year's council Secretary David L. Duncan '93.

"I think there are too many candidates who see an opening and think they can get elected because they have friends in their house," the delegate added noting that there are "lots of candidates who really aren't that strong."

But Steven N. Kalkanis '93 of Quincy House insists that this year--even more than in previous years--that candidates "will take things seriously" and plan "to take an active role."

"I'm happy with what I see," he says. "The [candidates] that I've met are very diligent."

Aronberg agrees with Kalkanis, asserting, "I don't think that there are any 'joke candidates.'"

Although no one has formally announced plans to run for the council chair, four current delegates are considered to be possible contenders: Dave Aronberg, last spring's vice-chair; Kalkanis, former co-chair of the academics committee; Alliric Willis '92, former treasurer; and Wayne Yu '92.

Many of the campaign posters employ a high-impact approach, emphasizing name-recognition over examination of the issues. Often, incumbents use a combination of humor and a resume-style sampler of past council experience.

"The most effective position papers in the past have been the most eyecatching posters," says Aronberg. "It's not because the candidates take it as a joke, but rather it is more effective."

Many candidates--including all six from North House--employ a very simple and direct style in their postering with simple "Vote for ..." messages followed up by more personal and substantive door-to-door campaigning.

"I think incumbents are counting on personal experience with the voters," sasy Aronberg.

Most candidates seem to be stressing the importance of communication between the council and the student body. This emphasis, many argue, could restore some credibility to the student government that is frequently criticized as ineffectual and, at times, incompetent.

"I pledge to table weekly in the dining hall to notify you of the the council's activities and try to help to solve any problems you might have," Winthrop House's Duncan states in his position paper.

In general, however, candidates have been supportive of the council, and have not resorted to attacks on incumbents as in previous years, according to Rhew.

"None of them seemed to be criticizing the previous council which is indicative of the fact that people are satisfied," Rhew explains.

A few candidates, however, did slam last year's council for its shortcomings.

Jacinda Townsend '92 of Cabot House attacks the council for doing an inadequate job of planning campus social events, writing of "the spring concert that never was, the spring fling weekend that almost wasn't, and the toga party that might as well not have been."

The council was unable to organize the traditional spring concert last year after plans for the group Living Colour to play on campus fell through.

Some candidates seem to have big changes in mind. Vladimir Ragulin of Adams House, for example, proposed "a discussion on the future of the council. Either it is going to change, or we don't need it."

Other candidates--most typically first-years--employed more direct methods to attract voters' attentions.

"My position is 69," screams the campaign poster of Javier Romero '94. "Yes, kiddies, my position is 69. I'm sorry... missionary just doesn't do it for me."

And J.D. LaRock '94 touts himself as "the brand-new action-man on campus."

Josh Liston '94, whose posters woo voters with the message: "Platforms are for weenies. Vote Liston. He's not a weenie. And he has no platform."

Upperclass students, however, are not beyond resorting to humorous posters with little or no bearing on campus issues.

One poster for Adam Taxin '93 depicts President Gerald Ford at his desk pondering aloud:

"If I weren't so busy entertaining offers from American Express to appear in one of their 'Do you know me?' commercials, I'd vote for Adam Taxin for council."

One students decided to borrow from professional ad campaigns to attract voters.

Carey Gabay of Quincy House borrowed a line from Nike shoe commercials: "Just do it. Vote for Carey Gabay." Or better yet, a line from Ray Charles and Pepsi, "You got the right one baby."