Crimson Air Attack Healthy; Running Game in Doubt

By Jay K. Varma

Although the Harvard football team's offense struggled in the final session of Saturday's game against Cornell, the gridders did put together respectable numbers for the day.

The Crimson matched the Big Red's total offensive output of 303 yards, while quartberback Mike Giardi compiled 194 yards in the air, besting his Cornell counterpart, Bill Lazor, who threw for 110 yards. Giardi's performance earned him his second Ivy Sophomore of the Week title.

Harvard's main difficulties, however, came with the rushing game. Despite its healthy crop of skilled backs--plus the mobile Giardi--the Crimson buckled beneath the power and ferocity of the Big Red defense.

Harrassed all day long, Giardi had a net rushing loss of four yards. Moreover, the Crimson twice ran a split-end reverse to junior Chris Taylor (once at a critical juncture in the fourth quarter) that resulted each time in a loss of seven yards.

One of the biggest reasons for the Crimson's lack of success on the ground was Big Red linebacker Chris Zingo. The sophomore from Fairfield, Connecticut, garnered Ivy Defensive player of the Week honors for his performance in which he registered 15 tackles, ten of which were unassisted. Zingo also registered a sack and picked off a Giardi pass at the Cornell 16.

The only bright spot for the Crimson rushing unit was the solid performance of junior Robb Hirsch, who rushed nine times for a total of 54 yards. Hirsch's performance allowed him to continue to build his reputation as a gritty rusher with the skill and determination to pick up extra yardage.

Other Rushing Notes

For the Cornell offense, the best part about Saturday's game was undoubtedly the return of senior John McNiff. The burly running back carried the ball 30 times for 143-yards, making it the seventh time he has rushed for over 100-yards in a collegiate game.

McNiff, who has sat out most of the season because of an ankle injury, looked strong through much of the contest. Though his offensive production dipped noticeably in the second half after he reaggravated his ankle injury, McNiff showed his characteristic confidence after the game.

"It [the ankle] feels 100 percent," he said.

While McNiff gave the Crimson some difficulty in the early going, Harvard did contain him through much of the later stages of the contest. In fact, the Crimson now has the highest rated rush defense in the Ivies. Thus far, opponents have been averaging only 139 rushing yards per game.

The Crimson's stinginess against the rush is in sharp contrast to the defense of Brown, which is having trouble stopping anything. The Bruins are last in the Ivies in rush defense, as opponents have averaged 313 yards per game against them. Dartmouth, whose defense is second to last in preventing the run, has given up only 201 yards per game.

Big Green With Big Win

Another sophomore quarterback is making waves in the Ivy League.

Dartmouth's Jay Fielder has supplanted last year's Ivy Sophomore of the year, Matt Brzica, at quarterback for the Big Green. With Brzica now playing split end, Fielder has taken control of the Dartmouth offense, and with immediate results.

Fielder put on an impressive display Saturday in New Haven. The signal-caller from Oceanside, N.Y. led the Big Green to a dramatic 28-24 victory over the Elis.

In the final minutes of the game, Fielder marched the Big Green up the field and with ten seconds left, the sophomore connected with receiver Mike Bobo on a ten-yard strike for the game-winning score.

Fielder accumulated 177-yards in the air (on 15-for-22 passing) and picked up 51 yards on the ground. The performance was good enough for a win for the Big Green and Ivy Offensive player of the Week honors for the quarterback.

Despite the losing effort, Fielder's Eli counterpart, senior quarterback Nick Crawford, turned in a performance that turned a few heads.

Crawford directed the Yale wishbone perfectly, picking up two touchdowns and 122 yards on 19 carries.

The loss dropped the Elis (2-3, 1-1 Ivy) into a second place tie with Harvard, Columbia and Cornell. Dartmouth (3-2, 2-0 Ivy) is now tied with Princeton (5-0, 2-0 Ivy) for first place in the Ivy League.