Turn on Your TV Sets to Watch an Inspirational Series

Smell The Roses

By Ted G. Rose

I'm only going to make this public service announcement once, so listen carefully.

Watch the World Series.

"Excuse me?" you ask.

"Watch the mighty Twinkies take on those overpowering Braves?" you continue. "I think I'd rather watch some pre-season basketball."

Well, to all you baseball fans who are sitting out this World Series and waiting until next year when some real teams come around, you're missing out.

I'll admit, this series may not be the battle of the big-market teams like the Red Sox or the Dodgers.

Neither team is on the verge of a dynasty the likes of the Bronx Bombers or the Big Red machine.

Heroes' names such as Mark Lemke or Scott Leius probably don't ring much of a bell.

And, truth be told, it is possible that no one from either team will ever get inside the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown unless he buys a ticket.

But this series has something that no series (with the unfortunate exception of the 1986 version) has had in a while--excitement.

The Facts

Just look at the facts:

Of the first four games, three were decided by only one run and all three of those games were won in the home team's last at-bat.

Game three was practically a chess game. Forty-two players were used, including 13 pitchers and 12 pinch hitters. By game's end, Twins Manager Tom Kelly had no one on the bench but two starting pitchers.

Two clubs which boast some of the strongest pitching in the majors have yet to keep their opponent from scoring at least two runs.

Great defense has been around, too. Most notable was Lonnie Smith's head-on collision/tag out with catcher Brian Harper at home plate in Game 4, in which Harper managed to hold to the ball and preserve a 1-1 tie.

Does none of this sound familiar?

Maybe you should have been watching the games.

Quality of the Drama

I'll be the first to admit that I cared very little about either team when the 1991 season started--or even the 1991 playoffs.

But considering the quality and drama of this series, you don't have to care about either team.

You just have to be a baseball fan.

I'm a diehard Red Sox fan, but I think I'd rather be watching Steve Avery and Lonnie Smith take the field tomorrow night than Roger Clemens or Wade Boggs (maybe that's just because I know the Boston gang would lose.)

Just turn off Boston Celtics vs. San Antonio Spurs. They'll be on next week.

Baseball is having a last hurrah, and it's just about as good as it gets.