Price is Right for DeWolfe Cable

By Gia Kim

DeWolfe St. is wired up and ready for cable television. And despite the costs--both financial and academic--students say they are ready as well.

In addition to kitchens and air conditioning, each of the suites in the spanking-new housing complex is wired for cable. But it's up to the students to decide whether to connect.

All but the truly cable hungry may be turned away by the expense--$16.95 per month for the basic service plus a hookup charge, plus an extra nine dollars for each premium channel. But some are willing to sacrifice everything--including furniture--to satisfy their habit.

Indeed, the distraction--and its consequences for students' academic lives--can mean poison, some students say.

"It's definitely dangerous," says Jason D. Holzman '93.

Always Something to Watch

Holzman says that since he and his roommates have more than 50 channels to choose from, "there is always something to watch," and there's a constant temptation to avoid studying.

When it comes to academic work, cable is "a curse more than a blessing," Holzman says.

But for those who love cable, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks, with perks like home-invented "cable games" in addition to the normal pleasures of TV viewing.

New Games

Steven G. Lookner '93 says that he and his roommates play games like "Guess the Channel" and "Who Gets to Hold the Remote Control."

But not everyone living in DeWolfe is in love with cable.

Laurence C. Cheung '94 will just say no to cable, citing its expense and his lack of time.

And, predictably, some of the party poopers are the tutors.

Alon R. Peled, government tutor at Kirkland House, says that he prefers "political and philosophical discussions to television."

If nothing else, cable has also brought out the creative spirit of DeWolfe's inaugural residents.

Rumor has it that one group of roommates in DeWolfe 20 will charge two dollars admission to the Mike Tyson fight in November.

With more than 50 channels to watch, there's always a way to avoid studying. As one resident puts it, 'It's definitely dangerous.'