Radcliffe Trustee Dies at 47

MIT Professor Contributed to Physcial Science, Education

Margaret L. Mac Vicar, a member of the Radcliffe College board of trustees, died Monday at age 47.

Mac Vicar died at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute after a year-long battle with cancer.

Mac Vicar was elected earlier this year to become one of 28 members of the Radcliffe Board of Governance, which handles the college's fiduciary matters. Her term would have ended in 1994. She was also a director of the Harvard Cooperative Society, and the dean of undergraduate education at MIT.

"She was certainly a source of wisdom for us," said Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson. "She was a distinguished scientist, a leader in scientific education, nationally known."

"We certainly are sorry to lost her," added Wilson

Distinguished Career.

Mac Vicar, a professor of physical science and education at MIT, specialized in electronic materials, especially high-temperature metal and ceramic superconductors. Some of her many accomplishments included founding the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program at MIT, chairing the National Science Foundation's new Advisory Committee on Education and Human Resources and serving as a director of the Exxon Corporation and a member of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.

Mac Vicar was born in November 1943 in Hamilton, Ontario. She did both her undergraduate and graduate work at MIT.

Mac Vicar is survived by her parents, George and Elizabeth Mac Vicar of DeBary, Fla., and two sisters, Anne Amato of Brookline, N.H., and Victoria Mac Vicar of Pepperell, Mass.

A memorial service will be held at MIT later this month.