Cambridge Resident Indicted for Murder

By Yea-lin Chiang

A Middlesex County grand jury yesterday indicted a Cambridge man for murdering his girlfriend last Sunday.

Morris King, 48, was arrested Sunday afternoon for allegedly killing Bobbie Schley, 45. King will be arraigned next week in Superior Court.

King was indicted yesterday morning for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault with intent to murder and murder, according to Jill Reilly, a spokesperson for the Middlesex County District Attorney's office.

Police found Schley with severe knife wounds in a neighbor's home at 16 Mildred Hamilton Place, near Central Square, said Lt. Walter L. Boyle, commanding officer of detectives for the Cambridge Police Department.

"She was bleeding profusely from the wounds on her neck and shoulder, and her neighbors were trying to help her," Boyle said.

An ambulance responded to the scene and took Schley to Beth Israel Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Her daughter, Jeannette Schley, 21, was also attacked, and was treated for superficial stab wounds and released, Boyle said.

Later the same afternoon, King, whom authorities had already named as a suspect, walked into the Cambridge Police Station and turned himself in, Boyle said. King is being held without bail in the Middlesex County Jail in Cambridge.

According to the Associated Press, King, a citizen of Barbados, was upset after Bobbie Schley asked him to move out of her apartment.

"When a crime of this nature happens to a respected woman of the community like Schley, a woman who was admired by all her peers, everyone is just in shock," Boyle said. Schley worked in Cambridge City Hall, he said.

This is the third murder in Cambridge this year, Boyle said.