Candidate Bob Kerrey Bashing Bush in N.H.

By The ASSOCIATED Press

LITTLETON, N.H.--The United States must adopt a new foreign policy that emphasizes better relations with developing countries and evening the playing field with economic powers like Japan, Democratic presidential hopeful Bob Kerrey says.

The U.S. senator from Nebraska, stumping for votes in New Hampshire yesterday, said President Bush's foreign policy still overemphasizes militarism and allows Japan and others to get away with unfair trade practices.

"The old fears are gone," he said. "The new international agenda is apt to be led by population control, conservation of resources. The challenge is going to be how do you sustain 5 billion people on this planet?"

Kerrey also called for further reductions in military spending, adoption of his national health care plan, humanitarian aid for the Soviet Union and revocation of most-favored nation status for China.

Kerrey said revamping the nation's health care system so that every American is covered will help the country better compete in the international marketplace.

"Every one of our industrial competitors, not only do they spend less money as a percentage of their GNP [on health care], but people in the work place know that if they lose their job they don't lose their eligibility," he said. "In our system, for 24 million Americans who don't have insurance...they've got to go on welfare and quit working" to get insurance.

Kerrey took calls on a radio talk show and spoke to about 75 people at a book store in Littleton. In response to a caller, Kerrey said he's against a line-item veto for the president because it would give the executive branch too much power. He then launched into Bush for requesting such power.

"If he thinks he can cut $300 billion, I'd like to have him provide me with a list," Kerrey said. "The last time he faced deficit reductions, in October of 1990, what we found was that he reversed himself on taxes and raised taxes."

At the book store, Kerrey stepped up his attack on Bush, accusing the president of purposely avoiding action on tough issues such as the deficit until after the 1992 election to ensure re-election.

Kerrey claimed Bush is hesitant to address thorny issues because he still is scrambling to control damage from his endorsement of tax increases.

"What we're finding is the defining issue of the 1988 campaign was a misrepresentation." Kerrey said. "The defining issue was George Bush saying to the American people, 'No new taxes, read my lips.' Well, he reversed himself and his popularity plunged."

Kerrey alleged that Bush's advisors have told him, "Don't tackle anything that's difficult until we get beyond the next election."

On the radio show, Kerrey said he's not necessarily against a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. However, he said Bush shouldn't have to be forced by law to bring a balanced budget proposal to Congress.

"The reason that the Constitutional amendment all of a sudden looks like it's needed is because of massive deficit financing of the 1980s brought to you by the very people who then turn around and become an advocate for amending our Constitution," Kerrey said. "I think the necessity of the amendment is borne from irresponsible leadership."

Kerrey's message hit home for at least some at the book store. William Copeland, on vacation from Carver, Mass., said he was "impressed by [Kerrey's] honesty" and the senator's background as a wounded Vietnam veteran, businessman and former governor of Nebraska.

"I think someone like him can better understand the world we live in," Copeland, 66, said. "I don't think the man sitting in the White House now understands us."

Margaret Gale, 42, of Bethlehem, described herself as a leftwing Democrat. She said she could relate to Kerrey.