Candidates for Chair Stress Council Services

Aronberg, Kalkanis to Vie for Top Spot

By D. RICHARD De silva

The top two vote-getters in last week's Undergraduate Council elections kicked off their campaigns to chair the council yesterday with promises to bolster student services.

David A. Aronberg '92 of Currier House and Steven N. Kalkanis '92 of Quincy House both threw their hats into the ring for next Monday's council chair election, issuing strikingly similar position papers that addressed many of the same issues brought up in last year's election.

Both candidates put service-oriented issues at the top of their agendas, stressing the importance of pragmatic, student-oriented policies such as campus security over more esoteric, political debates.

The two juniors also emphasized the importance of electing an energetic chair who would inspire the 88 representatives on the council.

"In order to get people excited about the UC, you've got to have a leader who exudes enthusiasm," Aronberg said. "We're at the point now where the council's chair must serve not only as its moderator but also as its loudest cheerleader."

Aronberg, who served as the council's vice chair last year, has two years of experience as a student representative. He has served as vice-chair of the finance committee and chair of the ad hoc committee on security.

Aronberg also said that he helped to greatly improve attendance at council meetings last year.

Kalkanis has only one year of experience on the council, during which he chaired the academics committee and served as a student representative on the Committee on Undergraduate Education.

As academics committee chair, Kalkanis worked for calendar reform and successfully pressed the administration to rearrange exam schedules and extend intersession.

Both candidates said they plan to appoint a council public relations officer to help improve the image of the council with undergraduates.