Students Celebrate Vets Day

CityStep, Radcliffe Choral Society Are Activities of Choice

By Elie G. Kaunfer

The weekend usually brings out the animal in many of Harvard's students. This Veterans Day weekend was no exception, as undergraduates reveled in a variety of titillating activities.

The annual CityStep Ball was the major event of the three-day weekend, and 500 couples shelled out $26 to attend the charity dance Saturday night.

"The most exciting part of my weekend was the dancing at CityStep," said Mark H. Kim '94. "I definitely spent more money than usual because of the ball."

The excitement was a little too much for some individuals who took their alcohol consumption to excess.

"I went to CityStep totally hammered," said David W. Miller '92. "In fact, I spent the better part of an hour puking in the bathroom. But I believe everyone should get violently ill from alcohol at one point in his life."

June M. Chan '94, a member of CityStep's special events committee, endured the ball from the administrative end.

"I spent three and a half hours hanging the backdrop and cleaning out the hall," Chan said. "After the dance, we cleaned up until two in the morning. The funniest part of the event was watching people getting their formal wear ripped by the old wooden fixtures in Memorial Hall."

Other big events this weekend included the Radcliffe Choral Society concert, the opening night of "The Foreigner" at the Agassiz Theatre, a Latin Rhythms dance and the annual retro-'80s party at Eliot House.

Quincy House resident Amelie Chai '93 said she attended an pot luck dinner sponsored by the Native American Association Friday night. Although the dinner was interesting, Chai said, "It doesn't quite compare to being on Studs."

Some first-year students in Stoughton Hall managed to escape to Cape Cod for the weekend.

"It was relaxing and it was fun," said Kessely C. Hong '95. "I even had New England clam chowder to get into the spirit of Cape Cod."

"It was only the second time I saw the beach," said Don S. Lee '95, who lives in Wisconsin. "I really loved seeing the ocean."

The weekend was also a busy one for sports lovers. Virginia B. Simonds '92 celebrated the end of her midterms by attending the Harvard hockey exhibition game against Team USA.

"Five players from Team USA are from Harvard. It was really fun to see them all skate," Simonds said.

Simonds said she also attended the two field hockey playoffs and the Brown football game.

Lorraine S. Chao '94 also participated in a sporting event this weekend.

"The most exciting thing I did this weekend was bowl at the Majestic Duplex in Alewife. There are no words to describe it," Chao said.

Chao said she saw five nuns bowling near her. She also said she stole two candlepins from the alley.

But the thrilling Veterans Day weekend may have been best described by Joshua Z. Heller '94.

"All the people who had exciting weekends aren't out of bed yet."