BGLSA Stage Union Eat-In

More Than 100 Gather to Show Opposition to Peninsula Issue

By Julie-ann R. Francis

More than 100 members and supporters of the Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Students Association (BGLSA) participated in an eat-n at the Harvard Union last night.

The eat-in was designed as a show of solidarity in opposition to a recent 56-page issue of the conservative magazine Peninsula, devoted entirely to critizing homosexuality.

Sporting pink triangles, participants occupied several tables at the rear of the Union. They were flanked by banners which had been signed earlier in the day on the steps of Widener Library.

Participants distributed pamphlets entitled "Someone you care about is gay or lesbian" and went from able to table informing students of a rally planned for this afternoon.

"We're doing this for the visibility. We're here to show people that it's not true what Peninsula says," said BGLSA member Marian M. Jones '92. "There are a lot of gays and lesbians at Harvard and a lot of straight supporters. We're not out here to here to convert anyone, we're here to be a presence."

At 6:15 p.m., BGLSA Co-Chair Sandy Cavazos '92 made an announcement to the Union crowd.

"We're here to tell you that there are very many happy bisexuals, gays and lesbians here, and very many straight supporters, and we would like to ask all our supporters to stand," Cavazos said.

In response, more than half of the people present stood and applauded.

"The speech was very heartening," said Adam D. Feldman '95, "It shows that the hate and innuendo in Peninsula is not representative of the [Harvard] community."

Many first-year students said they thought the BGLSA was justified in protesting against Peninsula.

BGLSA co-chair Sandi L. Dubowski '92 said he was pleased with the support the group has received this week.

"The community is really mobilizing, and so many straights are showing support," he said.

He said the BGLSA was trying to show first-year students that support for gays and lesbians at Harvard was strong. According to Dubowski, the extra effort has been successful