Execs Learn EC Nuts and Bolts at HLS

News Briefs

By Nell M. Maluf

Business executives and corporate counsels yesterday completed a two-day intensive training program at Harvard Law School intended to shed light on doing business in the new European Community.

Led by Professor David W. Kennedy and visiting lecturer Jean-Francois Verstrynge, the program used small group simulations of real case studies to teach participants about European customs of law and economics.

"We are educating American corporate executives and general counsels and lawyers about how decisions are made in the European Community," said Allison B. Sander, the representative from Cambridge Transnational Associates, a firm that helped organize the program.

She said that participants also include many Europeans who want to learn how to influence the common market but are not yet familiar with its internal set-up because such information is not made public in Europe.

The program consists of a series of four conferences which are being held at Harvard, in New York City, and in Salzburg, Austria.

The second Harvard program--a five-day version of this week's conference--will be held in March.

According to Sander, this is the only course of its kind in the United States.