Gala Opening for Harvard Inn

Rudenstine And Wolf Cut Ribbon; Epps Speaks, Too

By Anna D. Wilde

President Neil L. Rudenstine and Cambridge Mayor Alice K. Wolf cut a crimson ribbon at an opening ceremony for the new Inn at Harvard yesterday.

Rudenstine, who called the Inn a "win-win situation," joked, "It's nice to be involved in a project I know from the very beginning had no controversy about it."

The Inn, which was built and is owned by Harvard Real Estate, became a source of dispute both in Cambridge and at the University when it was first proposed several years ago. Some opponents of the plan called for the preservation of the service station that previously stood on the site, while others argued that the location should be used for faculty office space.

More than 100 dignitaries attended the opening, which took place in the hotel's central atrium. Guests included leading figures in the Cambridge and Harvard communities as well as corporate clients.

Harvard Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III read literary quotations about the historical role of inns in human life. Epps was joined by Jill Harris, an anchor for the Christian Science Monitor's news program and a graduate of the Kennedy School.

Epps offered a toast to the new hotel and wishes for its continued "hospitality and fine dining."

The hotel was designed by Graham Gund, a local architect who was present for the event. It is managed by the national chain Double Trees Hotels.

Brisk Business

Business at the hotel has been brisk since its October 18 opening, according to Sales Manager Sarah C. Willis.

"Weekends are selling out," she said, "and weekdays are picking up." Weekday occupancy averages about 90 percent, she said.